BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a new gearbox fitted to my 330 along with all the gearshift moving parts. My complaint was that the gears were stiff to shift and notchy.

Should I get the ACS short shift fitted at the same time? Has anyone driven an e46 with one fitted? If it makes the gears any harder to shift or notchier I don't want it since I dont want to have the same difficulty as I have now with the new box.

·
needs a new sig...
4,820 Posts
Any SSK makes the shifting notchier..if you want shrt throws you deal with notchieness!

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,330 Posts
I have a UUC SSK on my car, one of the best mods you can do. And its something you'll use every day; the shifting is much more precise, short, crisp and smooth versus the stock shifter thats ridiculously long. Definitely do it, you won't regret it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I like the notchieness. I feel more confident about the shift and it feels like a true gearbox should feel like. It separates it from the softer Honda and Nissan gearboxes.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have the ACS short Shift, and I have to say it's my best Mod.

I had it fitted from my dealer when my car came from Germany, like all my other ACS parts, so I never driven my car without it.

However did drive a 316i with a BMW Shifter and you just can't compare the two.

I have heard that other Short Shifts are better than the ACS one, they are shorter and softer not to mention cheaper......... but not had the chance to try one yet....

But if you think about what a Short Shift is doing, the extra force needed by shorting has to come from somewhere, ie the notchieness. I personally like it, feels like the gearbox is stronger.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the UUC SSK and my mechanic has the ACS one. I've driven his car and the ACS feels a bit more precise or less notchy but it costs 3 times as much. IMO there's not enough difference to justify the increase and I would definitely go with the UUC. Oh and I would describe the notchy feeling as more of a direct feeling and not a problem to me.

4,238 Posts
bobble said:
I have the UUC SSK and my mechanic has the ACS one. I've driven his car and the ACS feels a bit more precise or less notchy but it costs 3 times as much. IMO there's not enough difference to justify the increase and I would definitely go with the UUC. Oh and I would describe the notchy feeling as more of a direct feeling and not a problem to me.
I need to keep this answer on file so I can cut-and-paste it whenever I see this kind of comparison.

Comparisons between two different cars, even of the same model, are practically worthless: there is a wide variety in how BMW transmissions feel even between two "identical" cars.

Knowing how the ACS shifter is built and what the dimensions are, I can tell you that when installed in the same car it will feel every bit as "notchy" as the EVO2. Same dimensions, same shift effort. Basic mechanical engineering.

Differences in precision are even more variable due to wear in the transmission and selector rod joint. As the ACS uses the wear-prone thermoplastic bushings, at no point (when installed in the same car!) will it feel as precise as the UUC.

I'm all for sharing experiences, but it is really important that people understand the fundamental basis of experience that dramatically affects the outcome!

- Rob

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. you're right it isn't the same car, mine is 2k 323 his is 2k 328 and it's a raqce car and mine is nowhere near that. My point though was the ACS one is like $800 and the UUC is $225 and even if all things were equal and the feeling was not my perception it was in no way worth, IMO, 3 times the cost. I was thinking all things equal save the extra money and buy some other stuff. To me, again IMO, his feels more precise could any number of things he has done but again for $575 more I'll get other stuff and grin just as much. Oh he did get the nice ACS knob with his so i guess the difference is really $100 less than I said. Can get a lot of knobs for that price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts