E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
E90 is a gap filling design, they had to come up with something to transition from the great design of the e46 to the now g series. I like the g series.

When I got my e46 I was thinking of the e90 too, 8 plus years ago. Glad I didn't go for e90.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
for bmw older designs are better/simpler .. especially if you are working on the car yourself. i got a second e46 for parts swapping, but thinking i should have gotten an E36 or E30 instead.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
E90 is a gap filling design, they had to come up with something to transition from the great design of the e46 to the now g series. I like the g series.

that is quite a gap filler.. i’ve been meaning to test drive the new cars. do they still pipe in the engine music to make me feel like a man? iirc that was introduced for the E90.

·
Registered
‘89, ‘03 and ‘98 E39
364 Posts
Ive been driving an e30 for many years now and I just got an e46 to play with. I think when I figure out how to make the 46 drive like my 30 I will like it very much. So far, I***8217;d say 46, but ive never been interested enough in the 90 series to even look in the window.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You are asking this question on an E46 list, so you will get a biased answer! Maybe someone who has both can chime in.

I have not driven an E90 but I am a new owner of an E46 330xi, so I will share my first impressions.

There are a lot of things I love about the E46. The chassis is stiffer and as a result the ride is better than earlier cars and on par with newer cars. Good quality parts for the E46 are now very affordable; there is a lot of information on DIY repairs (thanks to this group and others), so if you are so inclined you can save a lot of money and keep the car running forever; and there are a lot of software resources to help you diagnose, repair and customize your car.

E46's have many of the safety features found in newer cars, such as a full complement of airbags, traction control, ABS, etc. They also have many convenience features such as rain sensors (a must if you ask me), Xenon lights, and more. Such features are hard to find even in new, budget cars. The E90 has those features too, but you pay more because it's a newer car, so the E46 seems to be the sweet spot in terms of value for money. Finally, E46's are still plentiful, so chances are you will find what you want if you are patient.

Then there are the subjective reasons such as style. I agree with many people that the E46 is a much better looking design than the E90, which seems generic to my eyes. I find the visibility in an E46 great compared to other small cars, which I think is an important safety feature; road feel is still very good, driving these cars is very enjoyable, whereas people complain that newer cars have lost some of that visceral feeling; and the cars have sufficient power to keep you safe, even with the smaller engines.

So my (biased) opinion is that for a daily driver for people who want to maximize value for money, safety, enjoyment and are willing and able to do repairs themselves the E46 is very hard to beat.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
that is quite a gap filler.. i’ve been meaning to test drive the new cars. do they still pipe in the engine music to make me feel like a man? iirc that was introduced for the E90.
I doubt they were doing it in the E90, but it is painfully obvious in the G20.

E90 for tech and modern amenities, power too to an extent. E46 for class and a more raw driving experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the e92 coupe is fine , the e90 is fugly
+1
That said, I went from an '07 E92 to my '02 E46 - so I've recently had both. I've also owned around 10 other BMWs over the years (all older) so I'm familiar with what makes them tick. First impressions of the E92: nice-looking, drives very nice. But they're almost impossible to *do* anything to. If you want something you can just fill up and drive, the E92 may be for you. My E92 was also the most expensive, costly car I've ever owned. Everything in the engine bay is designed poorly: common lifter-ticking issue, brake vacuum is run off of CHAIN-DRIVEN

·
Registered
50 Posts
the e92 coupe is fine , the e90 is fugly
+1

That said, I went from an '07 E92 (paid top-dollar for its excellent condition and 64K miles) to my '02 E46 - so I've recently had both. I've also owned around 10 other BMWs over the years (all older) so I'm familiar with what makes them tick, no pun intended.

First impressions of the E92: nice-looking, drives very nice. But they're almost impossible to *do* anything to. They're so over-designed (for better or worse), you really can't modify them. If you want something you can just fill up and drive, the E92 may be for you. My E92 was also the most expensive, costly car I've ever owned. Everything in the engine bay is designed poorly: common lifter-ticking issue, brake vacuum is run off of a CHAIN-DRIVEN gear/pump, and when it fails (as mine did with only 70K miles) it's an $800 repair with special tools (and that's from my indy BMW shop with me buying the parts). And while I have accused BMW dealership repair of blowing my engine (on purpose because it was a SULEV and had a very extended warranty...?) and not owning up to it, I had no choice but to sell it at a huge loss. And then bought the '02 Touring, my first E46.

The E46 is the last of the "modify-able" BMWs. Lots of options to upgrade, repairs are still pretty basic for a DIY-er, parts are plentiful and cheap. And you can buy/own one pretty inexpensively. I'm rather surprised at how prices for the E92 have fallen lately.

Just remember: a cheap BMW will be the most expensive BMW you ever own.

·
Registered
150 Posts
E9x, i have an 07 e335i sedan. runflats and if you want a spare you forfeit trunk. Electric water pump. Steering feel is more neutral like most cars. Bluetooth, automatic in sport mode is more aggressive than e46. NA 6 for e9x little more power than e46 at least on paper. At 125k miles my auto shifter just suffered a wire failure common which disables the sport mode. I was able to find a youtube fix which saved a ton. Headlights are better but cant replace lens like the e46. You need a code reader because all the time.. abs light trifecta i have lived with. Very expensive to fix on e9x and defeats cruise.

E46 are legend. I have 2 now. 2k 328ci and 2001 330ci conv. Still love em. They are old so if you are not ready for old plastic and tired fabrics its not for you. Fire it up and slip into drive and the back end settles down a touch and its like hitting the sweet spot..for daily the e46 as small as it is, is remarkably flexible space wise.. my 2000 has intermittent abs light trifecta but does not change car operation including cruuse. e9x is much bigger like an e39.. now that i am older beginning to think time to get that e39 M5.. hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
my 2000 has intermittent abs light trifecta but does not change car operation including cruise.
On/off topic fumigator, but have you replaced your wheel speed sensors? I had this very issue and replaced my fronts with inexpensive AMZon sensors - no problems in 3 months.

·
Registered
150 Posts
On/off topic fumigator, but have you replaced your wheel speed sensors? I had this very issue and replaced my fronts with inexpensive AMZon sensors - no problems in 3 months.
No. Very intermittent and never created an operating problem unlike the e90. Right now it is off the road for insurance purposes. 210,000miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
Right now is prime time to acquire a VERY CLEAN E46. They are cheap and are getting cheap to maintain. Spend the extra bucks and get a nice one and treat it well.

I know nothing about e90's but I know from owning an e36 years ago is that once the cars turn 20 years old, the unmaintained heaps start dying in droves(lots of spare parts) and then the value of the very clean and sorted ones starts to creep up.

I sold my pretty decent e36 m3 in 2007 for good bit less than it would cost me to buy another one today. In the years since then, a lot of e36s got destroyed and now the prices are/have risen.

The same thing will/is happening to e46.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts