BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, the car I'm picking up Tuesday has 47,700 on the odometer - and I've got a 1,700 mile drive home. I'll be within 900 miles of the magic 50k, and am wondering whether I should purchase an aftermarket warranty for the car.

Alternatives are that I could take the vehicle to the BMW dealer's for certification... God, that's gonna cost probably $3,000. Would that be worth it? Aftermarket warranties with excellent coverage can be had for under a geezer, but only if I get them before 50k.

What to do?

·
Town Clown
15,089 Posts
I bought my car from a private party, and I'm still considering doing the same thing. I read your earlier post, and based on the fact that the car is new to you, it might not be a bad idea.

You seem like you're good at doing your homework, so it goes without saying that you should read the terms VERY CAREFULLY. There are different plans out there - some are worth it, some aren't and some 3rd Party Service companies can be nothing but scam artists. I'm still trying to decide what sort of plan I'm going to go with.

Hmm....I was pretty much no help whatsoever.....

:confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a troop of them on the internet. The best ones are the folks that pay anyone you take the car to a retail rate, without any screwing around, and settle the bill on the spot with a credit card.

I almost went to work for one of these places (I'm in sales) and probably would have done just fine - Their interviewing style was totally unprofessional, but the product seemed great. I'll do a google search.

·
needs a new sig...
4,963 Posts
I am going to do it when i am up there without a doubt..my father has one and it is great!

·
Network Analyst
3,495 Posts
GarrettF said:
I am going to do it when i am up there without a doubt..my father has one and it is great!
Could you give us some specifics?
Name of company, website, phone number?

Thanks,

dave

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, in the interests of not promoting one business over the next, I'll encourage you to do your own research - with the caveat that you need to carefully examine and think about the issues that may arise if you don't purchase from a reputable company.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Guys, keep in mind that in most instances, extended warranties will not pay off in the long run. It's one thing if you drive your car really hard, or don't take good care of it, or have reason to believe that your car has a "pre-existing condition", but the companies who offer extended warranties do so to make a profit---they are counting on people giving them way more money than they will likely have to shell out in warranty claims. You have a better chance of coming out ahead, literally, if you were to take the money and play blackjack.

·
Town Clown
15,089 Posts
xmas63 said:
Guys, keep in mind that in most instances, extended warranties will not pay off in the long run. It's one thing if you drive your car really hard, or don't take good care of it, or have reason to believe that your car has a "pre-existing condition", but the companies who offer extended warranties do so to make a profit---they are counting on people giving them way more money than they will likely have to shell out in warranty claims. You have a better chance of coming out ahead, literally, if you were to take the money and play blackjack.
I'd agree with you if we were talking about a new car, but we're talking about a car that has 47k on it - very different ballgame. For a pre-owned car, you don't always have an idea of how it was driven or taken care of before. A few hundo on a warranty is WELL worth it, IF YOU FIND THE RIGHT PLAN/CARRIER. The same thing goes with insurance - if you have your car under full comprehensive, instead of just liability, the insurance company is banking that they'll be receiving way more in fees than they have to pay out in claims. Yet, I'd wager that 99% of the people with a newer BWW will keep their car under full coverage and not just liability.

·
Registered
35 Posts
extended warranty info

Hey guys,

This is "ajchang" from the post over at bmw330ci.com. My 330Ci just hit 33K miles so I'm approaching some mileage markers--hence, my recent ponderings about this issue. For those who are interested, this is what I've found out:

-Our vehicles come with two separate programs:
a. a 4 yr/50K mile factory warranty covering all you usual engine/transmission etc. components
b. a 3 yr./36K mile maintenance warranty covering your oil changes, brakes/rotors, windshield wipers, etc. (anything associated with normal wear and tear of vehicle)
- You can extend either warranty through your dealership or any other third party. The extension does not come directly from BMW.
- You can extend the maintenance warranty to 4 yr./50K miles to match the factory warranty, but this MUST BE done before you exceed 36K miles.
- You can purchase factory warranty extensions (5 yr/100K miles for ex.) at any point. However, the price goes up once you surpass each mile marker (24K miles, 36K miles).
- The prices for these plans vary from dealership to deaership so shop around.
- So far I've only looked at plans through dealerships--seems to be the most straight-forward. According to them, they are "identical" to the original factory/maintenance warranties and also cover loaner vehicles for when you bring the car in for service.

As a disclaimer, all of this information is what was told to me by the various BMW dealerships that I called. After calling/shopping around, I'll be trying to negotiate a deal this weekend.

As for whether or not it's worth it, my thought process is that BMW parts are not cheap. I'm personally willing to pay another ~$2K to extend my coverage 5 yr./100K miles. I haven't seen any official reports about reliability to 100K miles--anyone out there have any ideas regarding this?

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,683 Posts
Re: extended warranty info

chump413 said:

- You can purchase factory warranty extensions (5 yr/100K miles for ex.) at any point. However, the price goes up once you surpass each mile marker (24K miles, 36K miles).
hey bro, r u sure about that?:dunno: i had an '01 325ci w/ ~30k miles on it before getting my current bimmer. i went to 2 local dealers to find out about"CPO"ing my car. both dealers said that they are not allowed to CPO cars for private parties.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Perhaps, getting your car to be certified pre-owned is another process? (I assume that's what "CPO" is.) I know nothing about that process.

I'm quite certain that you can always buy an extended warranty (for any vehicle for that matter)--the question is for how much.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Everything I've read suggests in general, aftermarket warranties are not worth the money. Their cost is more than what the average person can expect to pay in warranty claims. Also, keep in mind that these warranties often do not cover everything the original manufacturer's warranty does, & a lot of things are classified as "normal wear & tear" (& therefore are not covered).

·
Town Clown
15,089 Posts
Re: Re: extended warranty info

kidsdoc said:

hey bro, r u sure about that?:dunno: i had an '01 325ci w/ ~30k miles on it before getting my current bimmer. i went to 2 local dealers to find out about"CPO"ing my car. both dealers said that they are not allowed to CPO cars for private parties.
chump413 is correct. However, he's not talking about getting it "Certified Pre-Owned," or any other BMW stamp of approval. He's simply referring to getting either a 1. maintenance program extension or 2. warranty extension.

I just did very similar research as him within the past 30 days and the calls I've placed into dealers here all have turned up the same information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts