E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what needs to be done to get my SSK centered? I'm looking at the DIY on the UUC website http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/EVO3_INSTALLS/EVO3_SHIFTER_INSTALL_USSE3_USSE5.pdf but not sure which steps I would need to adjust the carrier (is that the right part) position? It seems like it's seated too far forward which is causing some noise where the leather is rubbing when I'm in 5th. This was professionally installed years ago but it's just now starting to bug me.

The 1st pic, the top is towards the front of the car. The 2nd pic is a side view and the left side points toward the front. Notice how much more space is below the shifter than above it. I just want to move it down a bit. Appreciate any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
The carrier position isn't really adjustable. Like the previous poster, I would suspect the wrong model shifter. It may also be possible that the shift lever is installed backwards. I can't tell from your pics but if you look at page 11 of the instructions you linked, it indicates the proper orientation (bolt head towards from of car).

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
OP isn't worried about the shift levereage being off center (180 degrees wrong) he's worried about the pivot being off centre.

I'd look at how your engine/transmission mounts are doing , if they're OK then you prolly got the wrong carrier for the SSK (can'r remember if you re-use your carrier or not during install)

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
OP isn't worried about the shift levereage being off center (180 degrees wrong) he's worried about the pivot being off centre.

I'd look at how your engine/transmission mounts are doing , if they're OK then you prolly got the wrong carrier for the SSK (can'r remember if you re-use your carrier or not during install)
The stock carrier is reused, not replaced. The carrier position isn't really adjustable thus the position of the pivot cup is also fixed. The only variable is with the shift lever itself and it's either the wrong lever or improperly installed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I verified the shift lever isn't backwards so I'm going to assume it's the wrong model. Guess I'll just lube it up to reduce the friction. :idea:

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
The stock carrier is reused, not replaced. The carrier position isn't really adjustable thus the position of the pivot cup is also fixed. The only variable is with the shift lever itself and it's either the wrong lever or improperly installed.
You are correct i installed mine back in '08 and had forgotten that stock is re-used.
The shift lever must be at fault then :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts