BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2003 330i and love it... but hate how long the throws are. I'm looking into buying a short shift kit but have a few questions:

1) Does anyone recommend a specific brand? I've been reading about a bunch and really don't know what's best:

2) Suggestions/tips/things to look out for while doing this myself?

I appreciate the help!
naleeK

·
Keep it clean
7,984 Posts
Honestly, I really like my understeer.com shifter. Cheap and short. It's a modified shifter from a Z4, I think. I ran the UUC and I like this better.

I'm wanting to pair it with a UUC DSSR soon, though, as I have a little slop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You could try a couple things, you could buy a shifter from a zhp or you could cut your shifter shorter yourself using a pipe cutter and a tap and die which would be much easier... good luck

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm using the E36 Z3 M short shift.. I love it. Don't think it's as short as the UUC kit, but it's much shorter than the standard throw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try a couple things, you could buy a shifter from a zhp or you could cut your shifter shorter yourself using a pipe cutter and a tap and die which would be much easier... good luck
That's actually how I received the car - with a shifter that had been cut down to fit a ZHP knob. However, it really doesn't work out well because the knob has nothing to grip unless you cut a notch in the top of the shifter therefore it just spins around while you drive which is annoying.

But anyway, purchased a UUC SSK and received it yesterday. Really excited to put it in. Pictures will come soon (I hope)!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts