BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

(Picture for example, the lock on the car is the same type but stripped)

It's very tight due to wheel bearing failure creating pressure. Anybody has those advanced tools that actually drill into the nut and clamp it from outside via torque?

Or anything that will not require damaging my rims... :banghead:

·
NVS PWR (envious power)
269 Posts
100 percent of the cars that come into my shop for the first time- have the wheels installed with improper lug torque :facepalm:- when you over tighten the wheel bolts- you are destined to run into problems :bawling:- when torqued on properly there is no reason for the piece to strip :clap:- a failed wheel bearing will not cause the the center part to strip

Over tightened bolts with impact guns = problems

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100 percent of the cars that come into my shop for the first time- have the wheels installed with improper lug torque :facepalm:
I'm aware of that and will be the first person to tell you to use torque wrench. The problem here is that there is a wheel bearing failure that put alot of pressure on that area.

Smuv, I hope not.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I had a set of those on my Cragar S/S's on my malibu in the 80's.... as soon as that damn thing slipped off the first time and I saw how that situation was going to end up in the future I removed them immediately. OEM BMW locks/key has more contact/grap points ... that star design that McGard has is a no go....hope you can get it off...Some may not touch it because it may damage the rim...but it is doable... read post 7 & 8 and try that if you haven't already....be careful tho.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/131311-broke-my-antitheft-lug-nut.html

Make sure that rim is off the ground and try and tighten the other 4 up a little more then proceed to the lock. Oh and uh... wd40 may be your best friend in this situation..:)

·
Registered
11,924 Posts
weld suttin on to the wheel lock and take it off w a impact gun. Thats what we used to take off a broken stud on Nick's hubcap

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
weld suttin on to the wheel lock and take it off w a impact gun. Thats what we used to take off a broken stud on Nick's hubcap
Who did it for you? How did you weld it in such a tight space without damaging rim?

mcgard makes the bbs lugs and locks
:facepalm:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I did but it will not buldge, I will be getting bigger sledge + heating the socket up shortly.
Gotta file down the inside of the socket a little so it slides on easier. Atleast at the begining so when you hammer it on it will slide on the lug till it starts to dig in and you will get it to grip it better.....easier done with smooth guide.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I did but it will not buldge, I will be getting bigger sledge + heating the socket up shortly.
Make sure you use a 12 point as well, it should slide on a bit easier. If not welding may work as was suggested, what I would do is use a lug nut and weld it onto the wheel lock from the inside of the nut and that should prevent damaging the wheels.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure you use a 12 point as well, it should slide on a bit easier. If not welding may work as was suggested, what I would do is use a lug nut and weld it onto the wheel lock from the inside of the nut and that should prevent damaging the wheels.
Couln't find 12 point trying to file down the edges of 6 point now :tsk:

Good looks

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well.. bigger socket did not get it off... nor did chisel... nor did welding... this is ridiculous.. I will be brute forcing and drilling it on Saturday.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts