E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I lowered my 2000 328i an inch and a quarter. Now the shocks and struts need replaced. Any recommendations? Its my DD so not sure what you guys recommend replacing them with?

Thanks for any help.

dobro20

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Can't go wrong with bilstein sports as posted above, but also give some thought to what Koni has to offer, adjustable sport yellows, FSDs, etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Can't go wrong with bilstein sports as posted above, but also give some thought to what Koni has to offer, adjustable sport yellows, FSDs, etc.
:thumbup:

I'm going with the Bilsteins along with the TMS reinforcement kit here soon. Need to take care of the RTABs and rear tires, first... :tsk:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
:thumbup:

I'm going with the Bilsteins along with the TMS reinforcement kit here soon. Need to take care of the RTABs and rear tires, first... :tsk:
Yeah I'm also refreshing my suspension later this summer...after I get a couple thousand other things done on my list first...

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I've got Koni Adjustables on my car. They are okay, I suppose. I have not figured out the best setting yet, they are on the default setting -- the softest. I suggest you want something like Koni or Bilstein. Now that I have adjustable shocks that I have not adjusted, I shoulda bought Bilsteins.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you really really want a performance suspension system go for it. But overly hard expensive sporty suspensions will hurt your ride, your wallet and your resale value. So unless you want them dont use them as a replacement just because you can.

·
:D
7,274 Posts
Another option is kyb. They're similar to Monroe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what I was thinking. Granted it is a DD, but......I found Bilstein Shocks and Struts on partsgeek.com for $385. These aren't the high end Bilsteins, but may suit for the DD purpose with a little incentive!

·
Registered
30 Posts
hello guys, just a questions here.. I have a 2002 330i SPORT package 97,000miles with the original strut and shocks on it. I am sure they need replacing.. it is my daily driver and I am just looking for some quality replacement to have the car ride like new again.. It's my daily driver and I live in the city with rough roads. I would like to keep the sporty feel to it, but nothing too rough where it's uncomfortable.. any brand/name suggestions? and any recommendations on where I can get a good price? thanks guys!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shocks and struts

The roads are no better this side of the state. Want Bilsteins, found them at www.partsgeek.com between $400- and $600, depending on which ones you buy. I didn't want to get KYB's, but they have them between $300 to $375, about the same price at Advance if you order them online with a 15% discount.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How about the Lowtec struts & shocks, they are priced slightly above Meyle? I really don't wanna compromise in comfort but I also don't want to spent more than $175,- per set. The BMW OE go for about the same price per peace! Who makes those?

Is there anyway of telling the struts and shocks are due? I had to replaced a barrel spring on the rear shocks, it broke, but the ride is still pretty comfortable (even when the broken spring was still on) and I got no issues with steep speed bumps and sorts.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
I don't get why people knock Monroe. Monroe is an OEM supplier to some auto manufacturers. The parts are of extremely high quality and are obviously valved to meet OE-specs. They just dont take one-size-fits-all shocks and shape them to fit the E46. They're nothing fancy or extra sporty, they're just OE-equivalents at a lower price.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
How about the Lowtec struts & shocks, they are priced slightly above Meyle? I really don't wanna compromise in comfort but I also don't want to spent more than $175,- per set. The BMW OE go for about the same price per peace! Who makes those?

Is there anyway of telling the struts and shocks are due? I had to replaced a barrel spring on the rear shocks, it broke, but the ride is still pretty comfortable (even when the broken spring was still on) and I got no issues with steep speed bumps and sorts.
They're done. The way to check is you ask yourself a simple question: How many miles do the stock struts/shocks have on them? If your answer is 50,000 or more, replace them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.