BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my '03 325ci recently and still mastering to drive stick. I'm still breaking in my car as my salesman said I should never let the engine rev past 3000 for the 1st 1000.

So now, I usually shift around 3000. The problem is that the ride seems to be very fuel inefficient. Is it my shifting habit?? Do I always have to shift to 5th gear whenever possibe to keep my engine rev low??? Coz sometimes in small local street, I cruise at 4th gear at 2000 rpm. Is that bad? Please anyone share their shifting technique? I want to do it right and be fuel efficient too :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
In normal, day to day driving, I usually shift at about 2500 RPM. Same for shifting into 5th gear. After awhile you'll just get the feel of when to shift. I'm not sure where you are from, but if it's cold, shift at even lower revs until your engine comes up to temp. As far as fuel economy goes, I don't see how what you are doing would result in that bad a milage. I hope you're not going by the silly MPG gauge.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I usually shift at 3K until my car temp warms up and then at 3500-4000+. I average around 25MPG. Oh - I have a 330 by the way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
how about asking what kind of mileage you are getting.... what do you mean by bad?

and please also take into effect that your car is new. I have noticed a dramatic increase in my mileage after the car was runned in. (I have 28Km right now)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I shift at 2-2.5K while the car is warming, and 3K once it's warmed up. I get 27.0 MPG avg (mostly highway, but there are lots of hills in the Pacific Northwest) with my 323ci, which includes occasional bursts of spirited driving ;)

·
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai
2,478 Posts
your questions will be answered as u drive more and more..

and about the fuel efficiency, I'd take a wild guess that you stop and go a lot; therefore, you get poor miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts