BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
yup, once u take out the auto knob u can put a manual, that safety release button is attached to the shift knob and will come out with it, i unfortunatly made the mistake of buying an expensive momo auto knob and the button has no funtcion now

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
.:DSï:. said:
absolutely you can
looky
http://www.e46fanatics.com/features/picturepage.php?imagename=NickACS_03.jpg
altho the safety button function will be gone but ive read that the tranny software itself wouldnt let you do any misshift or going from N->R while on D :shhh:
I wouldn't take the risk. The lockout feature is there for a reason. Worse yet, you could misshift from R (or D) to P by accident when the car is moving (trust me, this CAN happen if there's no lockout in place).

·
Registered
98 Posts
so how would you do this. i want to do this now.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
Yes you can...you just yank off the old knob and slap on the new one. Be careful, however, because when you put the manual knob on you will loose that Step safety button feature so it could slip in and out of gear...
and be careful taking off the auto knob...it will not be easy, and it could break something!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
pardi said:
I wouldn't take the risk. The lockout feature is there for a reason. Worse yet, you could misshift from R (or D) to P by accident when the car is moving (trust me, this CAN happen if there's no lockout in place).
Is this true?

·
Registered
339 Posts
wouldnt bother... not worth the risk

·
Registered
798 Posts
most would say not to do it...it looks nice, especially if you fit a manual boot cover over the auto plate, but its risky. The process in itself is risky as mentioned above, you might bust yourself in the face.

·
-not a mod-
31,618 Posts
I did it.. as long as your careful you will be fine.. I just drove it in sport mode all the time, so if I did bump it for whatever reason it only shifted or whatnot..

·
Registered
463 Posts
You would need to press on the brakes in order for you to switch from P -> R or D, D -> R or P, R -> D or P. I tried doing these yesterday without pressing the brakes and it wouldn't shift...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts