BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this weekend Sheefo and I decided to do some crazy sh!t.. on Saturday afternoon we took apart and pulled out his entire dash, door panels, etc. and did a tan/black two tone. Here's my documentation of the night. :)

Here are the before pics (ICE has been gone for a while though)

soooooooooo we took the dash out :eek:

door panels taken apart and redone: (suede in the armrest things were starting to separate)

random shots of the cars:

tbc...

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Dude the cars are looks dope as fock. :bow:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
annnnnnnd we started the process of dyeing things:

supplies

here's me doing some nice dyeing on the front door panels

done:

tbc..

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
center console and temporary black pieces that don't have a chance in hell of looking this good after a couple weeks:

now for the real fun....... the dashboard!

after cleaning and a couple coats of dye:

done:

here's me working on the door panels, drilling some plastic welds and sh!t :ben:

random teaser of my portion of this thread thusfar... coming later :)

front door panel inserts (notice the black stitching!!!!) :str8pimpi

door panels put back together, looking great:

tbc...

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so, time to put the dash in and test things out! making sure airbag light isn't tripped or anything

20mins later the door panels are in... annnnnnnnnnnnnd done! :)

tbc with my portion...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
:bow: looks awesome.

Alec, I still want to send you my trims and have you wrap them in the suede I have in a couple weeks :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Amazing job guys. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
here's a 'before shot' from last year:

after new seat bottom trim, door weather stripping trim stuff, and the same door panel treatment:

disconnect the battery:

unscrew two torx t-30's on the back side of the steering wheel to release the stock airbag:

some big ass bolt holding the steering wheel on:

steering wheel off:

temporary sport wheel that i borrowed from sheefo to use for the next couple days.. (oem m3 wheel arrives on wednesday i believe)

connect wheel button and airbag looms, push in the new and not so gay airbag, and voila

my door panel inserts (never really got a good picture of this... i've had it for the past year or so haha)

tbc...

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
next mod.... finally sueding my headliner and pillars:

now i'm back in my dorm room, with some parts, an exacto knife, and some suede :)

box o' sh!t

headliner and black suede

updates on this project to come later in the week... :)

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I think you earned a new name dude.......
Dr. Skinz ........................This is what I'll call you from now on

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Okay, here's an 'afterward' on everything we've done so far, including instructions and advice.

DOOR PANELS:

To two-tone these like we did, you essentially have to drill out all of the plastic welds holding the insert to the vinyl exterior. To do this, all that's really necessary is a quick five second push with a power drill (I used one with just a simple phillips bit), and then a 'pop' with a big flathead screw driver. To put them back together, just buy some screws that are 1/2" and 3/4" and screw them on into the broken plastic welds. They're strong enough to hold, don't worry (especially on a coupe since the armrests help a lot.)

DASH:

Okay, the dash REALLY wasn't as hard to take out or intimidating to wire as it appears. If you've taken any of the dash apart before (the trim, instrument panel, steering wheel, glovebox, and stereo area, and center console) this should be a walk in the park for you. In our case, we've done each of these things countless times separately, so the trick now is to do it all at the same time! Just take all of those things out, unscrew the four dash screws that are in plain sight after you take off the interior trim, take out the dash airbag, unscrew the two phillips screws by the center console, and give it a yank. Not bad at all! It took us about an hour to take it off, start to finish.

HEADLINER:

This was also pretty simple and straightforward... First, remove the A/B/C Pillars (A Pillar is held on by three torx t-20's that are behind the little clip things, B pillar is held on by two little push clips, C pillar is held in by three little push clips), then remove all of the visors, mirrors, and 'oh sh!t handles', then unscrew the big phillips by the sunroof controls. After that, remove weather stripping (all you do is pull on it) and give the sunroof area a tug and it should fall right onto your head. :)

DYEING THINGS:

Okay, the secret to doing this dye process well is to meet the following conditions:

- CLEAN EVERYTHING as much as you can, if you're a smoker, use some hardcore chemicals because the vinyl dye will not bond to the vinyl as well if you've been smoking in the car a lot.

- LET EVERYTHING DRY for at least a half day, in a pretty warm area (at least 60 or 70 degrees I'd say. With Sheefo's car, we only let the dash dry for a couple hours in his cold garage and, combined with a few years of smoking, random little parts of the dash decided to chip off and scratch a little bit. On the other hand, my door panels have been smoke free all their life, they're made from the exact same material, and I let them dry overnight inside my house. Even if you take a screwdriver to the material, nothing happens. The vinyl acts exactly as if it came black from the factory. PREPARATION IS KEY!!!!!!!!!!

:)

1 - 20 of 197 Posts