E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Nikkei is a $lut.
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read in a few posts that shark injectors only work with 99~ early 2000 models....

i have a 06/00 build 323i...

would the shark work ?

i tried searching...

TIA

·
Registered
473 Posts
yes. 6 hp gain

·
Registered
473 Posts
about 2-3 ft lbs tested on a dyno

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,358 Posts
wait... before you buy one...

check to see if your OBD port is in the driver side foot well... above the foot rest... if it is there (like on mine), then you can't get Sharked at the moment...

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,358 Posts
a s u r a 0 s 9 said:
...omg...im a noob....i dunno what the obd port looks like... :eeps:

OK, go to your car... open the driver side door, get down and stick you head near the pedals, turn it and look up. If there is a plastic hinged door (very small, maybe 1-2") which you can pop open and see a a port... you can't get the Shark. If you don't have any port there, you should be fine...

hope that helps!

·
Nikkei is a $lut.
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kool thanks!....

but then...is the shark really worth it for...6hp, 2,3 ft lbs gain ?
better throttle response and all....or so i hear....but..
hmmm...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
It's a good starting point for future "typical" mods for a decent price. Most will eventually get a cold air intake, as well as a cat back (some even headers back) exhaust, pulleys, even cams if you got some money and the desire. I've done the metal screen removal on my 323 with the shark and haven't thrown a fault yet, every person I've heard of so far who have tried this without the shark gets a fault light for some unknown reason. Maybe I just got a really forgiving DME, but I believe it's the shark injector with settings that allow greater flow than stock so I don't show the fault

·
Nikkei is a $lut.
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
....i found the OBD port!!!! yess!!! wait....no....that means i cant shark my car yet.... :sad:

by the way....having the later 2000 models doesnt mean i have drive by wire and stuff does it ?

·
Registered
670 Posts
B said:

OK, go to your car... open the driver side door, get down and stick you head near the pedals, turn it and look up. If there is a plastic hinged door (very small, maybe 1-2") which you can pop open and see a a port... you can't get the Shark. If you don't have any port there, you should be fine...

hope that helps!
B, where should the OBD be if it's a car that can be sharked?

I vaguely remember seeing a port-type thing on the left of the driver side footwell, close to my hood release. Good thing I read this thread first, almost bought a shark without checking for fitment...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
For the ones that the shark fits, your odbii port is out in the engine bay, round/octagonal shaped port on the passengers side closer to the firewall, big screw top cover is what you got to screw off to gain access to. M52TU engines (323/328) should definetly be mechanical while the M54 (325/330) get computer controlled throttle bodies

·
Registered
473 Posts
the round obd port in the engine bay is the bmw port. My car has the standard obdII port inside the car as well. You need the bmw port in the engine bay for the shark injector

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
cabrioguy, did you just install the asa ontop of an engine that already had the shark, or did you do the shark upgrade afterwards? Just curious if you're actually seeing an improvement in performance/reliability using the shark with a s/c unit that comes with no software reprogramming. I saw the dyno graphs...damn impressive :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
er...ok, I am getting a bit confused...earlier, you posted that if I have OBD port in the car, shark injector won't work. But Cabrioguy posted that he has both the ports in the engine bay and inside the car, yet he also has the shark....

so, see if I am interpreting this right....

As long as I have the round OBD port in the engine bay, Shark injector should work??

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
to answer your first question. The shark would work with any 323/328i/ci manufactured after 09/99. Im not quiet sure what the port by the pedals are, but the manufacture date of your car is what Shark injector goes by. The manufactured date can be located if you open your driver side door, it should be in there where the vin # and paint codes are..
I just installed mine about 2 months ago. I love it. Im not sure how many hp or torque gives you, but I feel alot of difference. Better response and acceleration. Take in mind that I also installed a exhaust and an intake at the same time.
the only thing you should worry is about the manufactured date. When I read the instructions I got a little confused and scared, because my car was made in 09/99. You should be fine. if you have any questions pm me.

·
Registered
473 Posts
BMWDon said:
cabrioguy, did you just install the asa ontop of an engine that already had the shark, or did you do the shark upgrade afterwards? Just curious if you're actually seeing an improvement in performance/reliability using the shark with a s/c unit that comes with no software reprogramming. I saw the dyno graphs...damn impressive :D
I had the shark injector but removed it when I put the ASA kit on the car. After I tried it out and found it gave me about 6 more HP and improved my air fuel ratio so I left it on the car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts