E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 323ci with 135,000 miles on it and have done a lot of mods to the suspension but have never really done anything for the power except for a Simota CAI with a K&N filter. Today, I installed a Shark Injector and I am really impressed. The car feels much smoother and the engine seems to work it's way through the band quicker and I truly notice a feel in power. I realize you gain a lot more power through supercharging/turbocharging, but for anyone who is on the fence about buying a Shark Injector for an older 323 and don't want to invest thousands into forced induction/turbos, in my opinion, the $350 spent on the Shark Injector will no disappoint you. I have had this car for 7 years and and feel cheated for not doing this sooner.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Did you use a trickle charger for the process? Might be going this route in a month or so. Torn between getting a subframe reinforcement kit from turner or this first.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a Schumacher 2/10/50 Amp 12 volt charger off amazon for $50. The instructions warn you about using trickle chargers - the Shumacher seemed to work well and probably wouldn't hurt to have around. thinking about buying a boat next spring and am sure a battery charger wouldn't hurt

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as doing the subframe reinforcement kit first, you seriously may want to do that. I had a cracked subframe which the stealership repaired but I still worry about it. I think a lot of the earlier E46's had this issue and it is more common than you think

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I have a very reputable indy who has experience with the E46 subframe, he already quoted me a bit over $500 for the whole job. So may do that first, even though I have no issues currently. But may be worth it for peace of mind.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whether you do it yourself or have someone do it for you, I think the subframe reinforcement is a great proactive response to these cars - kind of like replacing the water pump, pulleys, belts - once you hit the major fault parts, put money into the bang for your buck pieces

·
Registered
67 Posts
Taig,

How much does it effect the 500-3000rpm range? I have a 325xi and it drives terrible and hesitates within that rpm range. Village driving is a nightmare. Do you think a shark would clear up and smooth out some of the lower end hesitation? Also, not sure if you own a manual trans. but if so, did it alter your takeoffs in first gear for the better/worse/ no change at all.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Taig,

How much does it effect the 500-3000rpm range? I have a 325xi and it drives terrible and hesitates within that rpm range. Village driving is a nightmare. Do you think a shark would clear up and smooth out some of the lower end hesitation? Also, not sure if you own a manual trans. but if so, did it alter your takeoffs in first gear for the better/worse/ no change at all.
323/328 get better gains from the shark compared to the 325/330

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Is your car an auto? I was thinking about this as well but heard it was a waste if the car was an auto....

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,761 Posts
Does the shark injector software reduce fuel economy?
well you have to run premium (91 octane) fuel so the slight added increase in mileage is usually offset by the higher gas price. also most will push the car harder which alone will lose mileage compared to pampered.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I purchased my shark Injector 1 yr ago , and I was instantly satisfied with the product , I noticed the smoother shifts as well as the fact that I can break my rev lim , Prior to doing my TMS pulleys I felt she did pull harder , Im skeptical to the added HP they claim but over all knowing I dont redline any more Is good enough.

I cant say If I saved on gas or spend more cause my drivings never the same , Ill find my self just cruzing and at times Ill open her up ,more so then often , I am running 94 octane and nothing less.

For the price Its well worth It , I did read some where that Jims working on some thing.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
No. It will work on an auto, but you will feel more/better results in a manual.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in my responses.
How much does it effect the 500-3000rpm range? I have a 325xi and it drives terrible and hesitates within that rpm range. Village driving is a nightmare. Do you think a shark would clear up and smooth out some of the lower end hesitation? Also, not sure if you own a manual trans. but if so, did it alter your takeoffs in first gear for the better/worse/ no change at all?
My car seems to idle a little smoother and you notice a little in the lower end but more so after 3000rpm. I also have a Simota CAI which may help a little with the Shark Injector. Also, I have a manual. The best improvement is the lag when you hit the gas pedal is gone.
Does the shark injector software reduce fuel economy?
It supposedly does, I haven't honestly watched that real closely though. I read that the BMW software is designed for 91 Octane and the shark is designed for 93 which is what I have always used, so you might expect a little improvement just from that?

for the third time ill ask the question. Does it work just as good in an automatic vs a manuel ??
I am sure it will help some with an auto, but since the auto shifts earlier a lot of the gain would be lost, I am guessing though

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
"
My car seems to idle a little smoother and you notice a little in the lower end but more so after 3000rpm. I also have a Simota CAI which may help a little with the Shark Injector. Also, I have a manual. The best improvement is the lag when you hit the gas pedal is gone."

I couldn't have said it better. EXACTLY what this says is exactly what the shark injector did for my 323ci as well my 323 had quicker throttle response than my new 330

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would do 3.46 diff. next I paid 200 for mine and it helps quiet a bit, especially with the higher revs the shark allows. Would also recommend eBay headers with a full exhaust, or just straight pipe. I believe headers can help 15-20whp on the M52 2.5 liters , Iv hear shark w/ intake/exhaust gives around ..12-13?whp and like 7 or 8 ft/lbs. ... I can't remember. However headers wouldn't give you an addition 15-20 that number is probably total with shark I would guess.And also the M54 330 intake manifold with tb plate should help a few more as well. I have manifold/headers/shark/3.46s and I have under 1000 invested even with DIY cai k&n swap. between the years and an extra 20 ish who gain , you should be able to have a little more fun in our aging 323's , just my .02

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in my responses.
My car seems to idle a little smoother and you notice a little in the lower end but more so after 3000rpm. I also have a Simota CAI which may help a little with the Shark Injector. Also, I have a manual. The best improvement is the lag when you hit the gas pedal is gone.
It supposedly does, I haven't honestly watched that real closely though. I read that the BMW software is designed for 91 Octane and the shark is designed for 93 which is what I have always used, so you might expect a little improvement just from that?

I am sure it will help some with an auto, but since the auto shifts earlier a lot of the gain would be lost, I am guessing though
This is correct the autos do shift sooner which will cause some loss in gains, BUT you just need to get AA's auto transmission software.
Automatic is always more expensive lol.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I couldn't have said it better. EXACTLY what this says is exactly what the shark injector did for my 323ci as well my 323 had quicker throttle response than my new 330
Good to know, gotta get me a shark come spring. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts