E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I search and try to learn about the shark injector but want to hear your opinions.

Found another threat on a member with a 325 xi is asking the same think and a lot of you guys says it is not worthed, but what about the 330 ?

Two weeks ago I installed the OEM Performance Intake and was a noticeable improvement.

If some had in your car, please give me your feedback.

Thanks,

·
Registered
637 Posts
there are plenty of threads about this but i'd say since your're somwhat nearby you should take your ECU to Active Autowerke. And if your not up for the drive to Miami then you can just ship it to them. But you should get a printout of your current power map at a local shop that has a dyno. Then send that to Active so they know what they're working with and explain to them that you currently have a BMW Performance intake. [email protected] I'm sure would be happy to help you out. Another good option would be to get a custom dyno tune somewhere locally. And i'm sure you'd love the shark injector too i just am more of a fan of going with a custom tune because the shark injector is pretty universal, the active tune is a little more specific to your mods and a custom tune will be the best.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got a shark for my 04 330xi. It made an enormous improvement in throttle response. The car jumps off the line now. Can't say whether there is any improvement in torque/hp as I've never dyno'd the car. Butt dyno says maybe a slight improvement. Removing the top end speed restriction isn't really an issue for me as the Autobann is a little too far from my house. Overall I'd say it's worth it although you have to by premium fuel and at today's prices, OUCH. There is a much less expensive product that only improves throttle response, that may be a better option depending on what you are looking for. BTW my car is an auto.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
^ why would you be putting anything less than 91 octane in your car to begin with?

·
Banned
2,931 Posts
No it's not worth it imo for an auto car. The main benefit i've seen from my shark is rev limit increase and able to go all the way to 7k then shift. Add some gears to that and you can stay in the power band. IE rev limit used to be 6500. Lets say your really fast and you shift at 6400 and don't hit the limiter. It puts you in the next gear around 4k (depending on what rear diff ratio you are running this may vary) about 1k off where you wanna be. If you check the dynos power band is from 5k to 7k. I'm running 3:46's with a 5spd i shift at 6900 brings me to around 5.2 to 5.5 depending how lucky i get:D Keeps ya in the power!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your comments, my idea, correct me if I am wrong, I read that in Germany when they made those cars for US they modify some specs to accept fuel with lower octane grade, and the shark do the thinks that xixixi says plus change the car to obtain better performance using high octanes gas. ( I am actually using 93 )

My intention is to have some better performance without been a young kid ( I am 48 :shhh: ) racing on the streets, and I am not complaining with the actual that I have.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
The thing about low octane fuel (should you mistakenly put it in your car) is the car will retard the timing, lowering your HP/TQ so as not to destroy your engine.

I think that's right. Anybody care to correct me?
You are correct, it will. It will also throw your fuel economy down the shitter too.

Using the shark just optimizes the settings for 91+ octane gas which you should using anyway. US law requires all cars to be able to use 87 octane gas no matter what, more often that's by retarding timing to avoid premature detonation in the cylinder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts