BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a guy at Performing Imports, Inc. in Roswell, Ga, linquiring about differentials choices for my car. He askied what mods I had done to the engine and when I mentioned the SI, he said I had thrown away that money. (he sells Dinan stuff, BTW). He said that all the SI does in remap the fuel curve, whereas the Dinan stuff flashes the firmware and changes the timing, VANOS and a bunch of other stuff. I said that the guys here at E46 thought the 2 were pretty comparable, and he basically said we were all dumbasses, and didn't know jack. Is it true the the Dinan software is far superior to the Comforti?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,032 Posts
I don't think the gains are much different. Does this guy sell the shark as well as Dinan? It seems to me you're going into a store that is proprietary to Dinan, trying to make you feel dumb for buying their competition. It's like coming on this board and asking if they should buy a bmw or a honda....the answer would be biased don't ya think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Come on. Dinan is BMW's biatch, I wouldn't expect max performance from them. Plus Conforti doesn't make software for the 325 and 330 yet so what the hell is your guy talking about adjusting throttle by wire. Doesn't he know that the 323 and 328's prior to 10/00 had a mechanical throttle?

This is a quote from Dinan's site:

"Dinan are not achievable. For example, the software safely raises the rev-limit by 240 rpm, endowing your 330 and 325 with a broader power band and greater road speed in each gear. The software also removes the factory top speed governor, enabling the cars to attain their "natural" top speed.

Reprogramming the "drive by wire" throttle system speeds up throttle response, leaving the driver with the feeling of increased power output. This software is currently 49 State Emissions Legal.*"

Hmm. Timing? Vanos? and a bunch of other stuff? Sounds like they just adjust the throttle by wire to the default maps to me where as Jim Conforti actuall remaped the fuel curve and spark advance and "other stuff" where as Dinan just implemented what BMW has in place already as default before adaptation which I can just daily do a throttle adaptation reset. (see my post on electronic throttle adaptation reset procedures).

Oh they put a whimpy increase of 240 RPM to probably bring the max RPM to 6500 which is the engine max and the max default that throttle-by-wire starts with. Lame, Dinan didn't do any innovation here, just give us the defaults before adaptation as new defaults for daily driving. :thumbdwn:

Plus Jim C is working on the next Shark for the 325 and 330 which will blow the doors off Dinan.

Hmm who doesn't know what they are talking about here. Sounds more like your guy. Plus the Dinan guys aren't smart enough to touch Vanos and it's adjustments are done automatically anyway.

gavin said:
I was talking to a guy at Performing Imports, Inc. in Roswell, Ga, linquiring about differentials choices for my car. He askied what mods I had done to the engine and when I mentioned the SI, he said I had thrown away that money. (he sells Dinan stuff, BTW). He said that all the SI does in remap the fuel curve, whereas the Dinan stuff flashes the firmware and changes the timing, VANOS and a bunch of other stuff. I said that the guys here at E46 thought the 2 were pretty comparable, and he basically said we were all dumbasses, and didn't know jack. Is it true the the Dinan software is far superior to the Comforti?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
... Sounds like they just adjust the throttle by wire to the default maps to me where as Jim Conforti actuall remaped the fuel curve and spark advance and "other stuff" where as Dinan just implemented what BMW has in place already as default before adaptation which I can just daily do a throttle adaptation reset.
Correct. Dinan's programming does NOT touch VANOS. It also does not offer any power improvement. Gavin, it appears that the guy who told you all this is the dumb ***.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
Re: Re: Shark Injector a total waste of money?

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
Plus Jim C is working on the next Shark for the 325 and 330 which will blow the doors off Dinan.
I mean no disrespect to Jim and I apoligize for hijacking the thread - especially since gavin has a 328, BUT .....I've had my 330 for 2 1/2 years and have yet to see the first piece of evidence that the Shark will ever exist for the 330 or 325.:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree totally that this guy is biased toward the Dinan product, and no, they do not sell Shark stuff. This place also sells ESS SC's for $7500 and he explained the higher price by saying that they offer a 2 year warranty on the unit. I don't know if that price includes install, but I would hope it would.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
I know that Active autowerkes has a chip that dynoed 15 hp gain on a 330. I am not sure of the mods the 330 had but i am almost certain that it was computer reprogramming and AA exhaust. Not bad for 15 WHP.

Perhaps they might have something similar for a 325.
 

·
booo for body roll.
Joined
·
3,435 Posts
jano.. hmm by looking at ur post count it's only at 279... but this has been discussed alot before maybe you just missed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Shark Injector a total waste of money?

I've asked Jim myself and a month later through a third party. Jim indicated that he is still having difficulty with the part supplier to build the new unit but hopefully soon. The software was done but needed testing which he hoped to do very soon. This was in November. I talked to the President of Turner Motorsports just recently and he said "we are still waiting". So I'm sure Jim C. knows that people have been waiting as he has heard from a few of us himself and his primary business contacts. But from what I was told in confindence you can expect that you will not be disapointed by it's performance over Dinan (which shouldn't be hard). I think he will probably be able to beat Dinan's stage II or III software. He said a long time ago that he was going to test some Vanos adjustments. Lets see if he pulls it off.

Jano said:


I mean no disrespect to Jim and I apoligize for hijacking the thread - especially since gavin has a 328, BUT .....I've had my 330 for 2 1/2 years and have yet to see the first piece of evidence that the Shark will ever exist for the 330 or 325.:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
what will happen if i use 87 gas?

Since I don't buy into 87/89/91 octane
myth... as most of the softwares
*require* to be run at 91. What will
happen if I use 87?
By the way, here in CA, premium
was 92 until sometime last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
coffeebob said:
Since I don't buy into 87/89/91 octane
myth... as most of the softwares
*require* to be run at 91. What will
happen if I use 87?
OMG that is not a myth! It's science.
Higher compression engines require higher octane gas. The high octane doesn't mean the fuel is more pure (that part is myth) but it prevents the engine from knocking. Knocking is when the air and fuel mixture combusts in an uncontrolled manner before the spark goes off. Put 91 in your car as the owner's manual instructs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
but mine isn't knocking. I heard it from
a knowledgeable radio talk show host,
saying the computer in our cars will
adjust fuel mixture automatically. so
if running 87 isn't knocking, there is
no benefit running higher. But again
I don't race at stop signs like some
people here. And I couldn't care less
my car runs 0.1s faster when driving 130mph.

p.s. if you are in my area, try tune into
am 810 KGO, his name your probably
know, is bill wattenburg.
 

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
Joined
·
5,344 Posts
Good grief...

coffeebob said:
but mine isn't knocking. I heard it from a knowledgeable radio talk show host, saying the computer in our cars will adjust fuel mixture automatically. so if running 87 isn't knocking, there is
no benefit running higher. But again I don't race at stop signs like some people here. And I couldn't care less my car runs 0.1s faster when driving 130mph.

p.s. if you are in my area, try tune into am 810 KGO, his name your probably know, is bill wattenburg.
That guy isn't very knowledgeable at all. You don't hear knocking because the engine computer has retarded your ignition timing to avoid knocking. And in the process cut 5% or so off your power AND fuel economy.

If your car's manufacturer says premium fuel is required, they mean it. The car is DESIGNED to run properly only on higher-octane fuel. However, if they say to use regular gas, then premium is a waste of money. Because that car is DESIGNED to use regular fuel.

Try reading your owner's manual sometime! Long-term use of regular fuel in your E46 WILL eventually result in engine damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
well...

I would trust him more.

he explained why manufacturers
put "premium require" in the manual.
That's because the car burns a
*little* cleaner, and this allow them
to get some incentive.

keep in mind that premium varies
from state to state. And also he
said if you live in high elevation,
87=91 because there's not enough
oxygen to start with.

by the way, I'm pretty happy with
26mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Re: well...

True but not exactly.

It is the fuel additives that allows cleaner burning fuel not just the quality and this varies from gas station to gas station and week to week. Depends if the cheap or lazy owner or manager put the additives in the tank. So yes pure fuel with no additives, there isn't alot of benefit 87-91 octaine. In fact 93-97 octaine does burn better. Studies have indicated that the additives do help burn the fuel better and for a cleaner engine and emissions. It is fact that there are more additives in the higher octaines.

You can be assured that putting a lower quality fuel as I saw from a study that used the M3 as a test car, that your performance will go down a ***ping 8 percent! In fact most car engine performance goes down 5-15 percent on regular fuel if premium is required or even optional per the manufacturer.

A greater charge in your cylinder will allow your engine to stay cleaner. What your saying is like, "if I get second hand smoke everyday my lungs will be as clean as someone who doesn't". Yeah when your valves get heavy as a ton of bricks from build-up and your spark plugs wear out from corrosion, we will see who pays the price at the pump. What you save now, you pay later unless you lease.

Also note that there are very few gas providers some large and small oil companies buy from usually the same sources. The major brands have their own refineries, tankers and trucks however.

coffeebob said:
I would trust him more.

he explained why manufacturers
put "premium require" in the manual.
That's because the car burns a
*little* cleaner, and this allow them
to get some incentive.

keep in mind that premium varies
from state to state. And also he
said if you live in high elevation,
87=91 because there's not enough
oxygen to start with.

by the way, I'm pretty happy with
26mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,013 Posts
coffeebob said:
I would trust him more...
You obviously refuse to learn the truth. :tsk:
If you want to insist using 87 octane, fine, get a car with lower compression ratio engine. By using 91 octane your mileage should improve by such an amount that it won't cost you more in terms of fuel cost per mile.

My dad did an experiment once driving on the highway at steady speeds. He verified that the better mileage obtained from higher octane gas more than offsets the additional cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,092 Posts
Yeah he doesn't understand these are high compression engines

Yes you can get by with regular because BMW implements knock sensors that essentially de-throttle your engine which results in poor performance hence the 8 percent reduced power on the M3. Therefore worse gas mileage. So for that 10-15 cents per gallon he is saving, he is getting worse fuel economy, and fuel that doesn't burn as well leading to more emissions which effects his oil quality since there is a exhaust run-off into the oil pan which leads to poor oil quality, leading to more engine heat, leading to build-up in the engine, leading to spark plug wear, leading to more heat build-up, leading to even poorer fuel economy, and eventually thermal breakdown of components in the engine. Will this happen tomorrow? no but in 2+ years, yes. Do a search for that pic of Amir's engine with 20k miles on it or the one Samir posted. BMW engines run hot and are high compression. Any additional increases in thermal temps can send the engine over the edge.

Jspeed said:

You obviously refuse to learn the truth. :tsk:
If you want to insist using 87 octane, fine, get a car with lower compression ratio engine. By using 91 octane your mileage should improve by such an amount that it won't cost you more in terms of fuel cost per mile.

My dad did an experiment once driving on the highway at steady speeds. He verified that the better mileage obtained from higher octane gas more than offsets the additional cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Shark Injector a total waste of money?

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
I've asked Jim myself and a month later through a third party. Jim indicated that he is still having difficulty with the part supplier to build the new unit but hopefully soon. The software was done but needed testing which he hoped to do very soon. This was in November. I talked to the President of Turner Motorsports just recently and he said "we are still waiting". So I'm sure Jim C. knows that people have been waiting as he has heard from a few of us himself and his primary business contacts. But from what I was told in confindence you can expect that you will not be disapointed by it's performance over Dinan (which shouldn't be hard). I think he will probably be able to beat Dinan's stage II or III software. He said a long time ago that he was going to test some Vanos adjustments. Lets see if he pulls it off.

I hope you're right ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
Software upgrade won't do much on OBDII car, unless you have CAI, injector, throttle body, header, cams, and exhaust. Only software might gives you 1-3hps, you won't notice it.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top