BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) is drifting the same as power sliding?

2) how do you drift or start one?

3) how fast u gotta be going to drift?

4) is it different to drift on the XI models w/ 4 wheel drive?

5) what do u do if you drift too wide and get to close to the outside wall?

6) Is Gran Turismo's physics (in simulation mode) accurate for drifting?

·
needs a new sig...
4,647 Posts
1 Different
2. ebrake can do it but its good to be able to do it with your power
3 not that fast
4. its hard in awd..power sliding is easier then drifting in AWD
5 CRASH
6 sorta..take an autox course..it could help

AND..Drifting and Powesliding might look cool but it will slow down your over all laptimes... and on public roads is dangerous!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaha, i knew i would get critisized for those questions:

more:

what's the diff? powersliding and drifting?
what do i do to start drifting? e-brake and then gas? is that right?
once u enter the drift, is there an way to make ur turning arc smaller?

·
BMW Land Barge
1,377 Posts
1) is drifting the same as power sliding?

Sort of.

2) how do you drift or start one?

Brake sharply, jog one way, then hard the other. If you have enough power, and preferably a limited slip differential, turn and press the gas pedal hard.

3) how fast u gotta be going to drift?

Depends.

4) is it different to drift on the XI models w/ 4 wheel drive?

Yes, lots more understeer,

5) what do u do if you drift too wide and get to close to the outside wall?

Give it more power and pray. Most likely, call your insurance company. If you're asking this question on a forum, you're probably going to wrap your car around a tree at 90MPH.

6) Is Gran Turismo's physics (in simulation mode) accurate for drifting?

Define accurate. It's generally in the vicinity, but the most important element of controlling a slide is feeling it start. GT teaches you somethign of what you should do, but doesn't teach you how to figure out what's going on.

Summary: Don't be an idiot. Don't even TRY to do this on public roads if there is any traffic around.

Corollary: If/When you wrap your car around a tree, assuming you survive, don't call your insurance company. I don't want my rates going up because foolish people are doing stupid things.

·
99% Stock
1,128 Posts
premiumg said:
hahaha, i knew i would get critisized for those questions:

more:

what's the diff? powersliding and drifting?
what do i do to start drifting? e-brake and then gas? is that right?
I don't recommend drifting on a public road, cause i almost spun out once. But if you must, don't try any e-brake stuff when you first begin.
The easiest way to learn your slipping dynamics is to make a U-turn and hit the gas hard. Your rear wheels will slip so learn to correct the slipping by countersteering. Keep adding on to it by adding more gas and increasing the U-turn arc.
Then try making some tight corners by adding more gas and keeping the steering tight. Your rear will start to slip so add some countersteer when you do.
After that youre on your way for harder techniques, but don't do anything too crazy.

·
99% Stock
1,128 Posts
premiumg said:

Once you enter a drift, youre basically keeping your car in a balance from a) spinning out in the direction of the turn, and b) regaining grip (and understeering since most cars do). If you want to decrease your arc, use less countersteering and/or more power. By turning your wheels in the direction of the turn you start to slide more sharply. But if you do so, it gets harder to catch your car from spinning out.

·
Law Enforcer
2,408 Posts
I agree about learning the slip characteristics of your car. In my 330ci, I'd turn off DSC, and when I'd take a corner (w/ nobody around/wide street), I'd turn into it and gas my car hard to break the traction. You'll feel the cars rear end sliding around, and you countersteer. I agree that this technique should be practiced on a track, but it's a fun manuever nonetheless. My friend Jay has a Nissan Silvia (pictures below), and it's far easier to break the tires loose because of boost, but as soon as I get used to my M3, I'll be training myself in that as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
UltimateOne said:
Gran Tourismo is a game and drifting is for racing, and your BMW is not a Truno A86.....
Jeff, you crack me up, bro!! I can always count on you for the anti-fun replies!!

I agree, I don't want to see any inexperienced kids out there trying to drift every corner they take...it has been stated before that drifting is playing with your cars threshold of being in control and spinning out. I don't want to be the guy on the other side of the street that gets slammed into when you push it to the latter.

However, I think it is cool to learn to drift in a controlled environment. Many clubs and raceways offer classes where you can learn how to control your car in different situations including drifting. I was fortunate to have a roommate that drives Champ cars professionally for Team Kool Green and he taught me a lot about driving. Learning how to control a drift teaches you a lot about your car and how to keep in in control.

premiumg, to answer your question about drifting:

Drifting is mostly controlled with the throttle. Obviously, you have to steer through the drift but the majority of the control comes from wicking the throttle. You asked what you do if you come too close to the wall and how to drift in a small arc...most of the time you have to start slower so that when you power out of the drift you aren't going too fast for your car to handle. Giving your car more power when in a slide can get you out of a lot if you know how to control it.

Good luck and keep it safe!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
M3Inline6 said:
I agree about learning the slip characteristics of your car. In my 330ci, I'd turn off DSC, and when I'd take a corner (w/ nobody around/wide street), I'd turn into it and gas my car hard to break the traction. You'll feel the cars rear end sliding around, and you countersteer. I agree that this technique should be practiced on a track, but it's a fun manuever nonetheless. My friend Jay has a Nissan Silvia (pictures below), and it's far easier to break the tires loose because of boost, but as soon as I get used to my M3, I'll be training myself in that as well.
Yeah, the Silvia is supposed to be the best car for drifting. The weight distribution and the power (when boosted) makes it the most used car for drifting in Japan. Apparently, the 240Z is very similar.

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,833 Posts
Turn off the DSC and do pretty much wht others here have stated. Lay off the ebrake stuff til you are very comfortable initiating a slide/drift without it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts