BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem to be obvious symptoms of impending control arm bushing failure...my steering is getting a bit jittery as well, but still very driveable. Now that I have this groaning, any idea how much longer my bushings will go?

My search, unfortunately, was inconclusive.

·
Registered
274 Posts
akhbhaat said:
Seem to be obvious symptoms of impending control arm bushing failure...my steering is getting a bit jittery as well, but still very driveable. Now that I have this groaning, any idea how much longer my bushings will go?

My search, unfortunately, was inconclusive.

yeah i been getting only when my car is cold other that that it is fine

power steering? does it go where it says ATF and what kind of p.s. ?

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CC Nomada said:
If you aren't having the majority of the CAB symtoms you may also want to check the level of your power steering fluid. Might have a leaky hose.
Interesting - that's something I hadn't yet considered. I'll check it out, thanks.

The funny part about it is that I get the noise in the background when the car starts, even if the car and steering is motionless.

Power steering fluid may very well be the problem.

·
Banned
8,818 Posts
Today when I got off the highway i let go of the wheel and braked lightly and I could see the wheel jittering. Its either the control arm bushing or warped rotors(which i doubt).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah the powersteering goes where it's labled ATF I believe you use automatic transmission fluid but not positive.

When I took my car in for inspection II about 10k miles ago they told me I had a leaking hose and to watch the fluid and if I hear groaning when I move the wheel or on start up that would be a sign of being low on power steering fluid.

Hope this helps, if it is the power steering fluid give the Dealership a call and they'll let you know what you can put in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts