E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SES light P0171 P0174

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ReIntegration 
#1 ·
Just bought a little silver 2005 325ci with a black canvas top.
135,000 miles
Service records looked good.

Not two weeks later my SES light comes on.
AutoZone says p0171 p0174
Local mechanic says he knows the problem and it costs $800 (Pvs or PVC something)

Bimmer doesn't overheat, temperature right in the middle.
"Coughs" randomly when going from a complete stop.

Please help me!!

#2 · (Edited)
Just got over this codes on my 03 330Ci and also had it on my old 01 330Ci. When it came to the 01 330Ci it turned out to be my MAF sensor was faulty. With my 03 330Ci I had the same codes and this time it was my intake pipe from the throttle body was cracked. These codes are very common during the cold weather.

The codes are telling you Bank1 & 2 are running lean. This is surely not an $800 job. Sounds like a RIP OFF! Although if it turns out to be your MAF sensor you are much better off getting the BMW OEM not after-market and they range from $200-350 if you look in the right place. Even with my intake pipe being changed on my 03. It was only $70 for the intake pipe and an hours labor. Easy to DIY actually.

#4 ·
If you're not willing to do it and don't want to learn how to do it then $800 isn't too much. For alot of us on the forum it does sound like a huge ripoff now that many of us are able and accustomed to the DIY's and finding outthat they're not that difficult.

As for Francesca's issue(s) here is a list of stuff I would recommend (assuming none of these have been recently done or status is unknown):

- Inspect and replace air filter
- Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor with proper MAF cleaner
- Inspect and replace upper and lower intake boots. Don't just look at them sitting in the engine. Take them out and flex them and look for holes.
- Inspect DISA oring/gasket and replace if necessary. Would be a good time to inspect the DISA flap and see if it is properly working while you have it out.
- Replace CCV (CVV/PCV)
- Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail under the hood. You can rent a fuel pressure tester at Autozone for free. There a good videos on how to do this on Youtube.
- Replace fuel filter

This might all sound confusing but if you Google the DIY's you'll find alot of helpful DIY writeups and Youtube vids that really help alot.

Also while you have both your upper and lower intake boots out, think about cleaning out your throttle body (TB) and Idle Control Valve (ICV), otherwise if you decide to do that later you'll have to take the air filter/MAF, intake boots etc, all off again.

Also, search for the member named jfoj on this forum and he has a link in his sig telling you about lean conditions. He has the fuel pressure numbers that you want in there too.

Doing all this yourself will save you $$$$. You'll probably spend less than $100 (Not including the CCV or MAF)

#5 · (Edited)
Spot on, Spot on my friend. Most cases repair jobs are so damn expensive is cause of what shops charge for LPH (Labor Per Hour). You can do this yourself. That's how we all learned and saved big time. Don't get us wrong, there are some jobs that are highly difficult and also require special tools only shops have. Those situations in most cases are UN-avoidable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.