E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SES Light, Hesitation from complete stop

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  thermo 
#1 ·
2003 320i
Mileage: 132,000km (82,000 miles) [purchased @ 93,000km]
Useage: daily driving/work

Problem:
From a cold start, after about 10-15 minutes of driving the engine slowly goes in to limp mode with the SES light going on. This is also accompanied by hesitation when you give it gas from a complete stop (before the SES light is on).

This initially started happening with the car hesitating when I initially give it gas from a complete stop. When the car is already moving and it's in first gear, the hesitation does not exist and the car otherwise drives perfectly. Except now the SES light goes on and the engine goes into limp mode once it's warmed up.

Things I've looked at:
- I cleaned the entire air intake system, used MAF cleaner, used throttle cleaner on the throttle butterfly valve, cleaned the ICV (good condition)
- Checked the coil packs and spark plugs, there's no electrical burns on the coil packs, no oil in any of the spark plug chambers and the spark plugs are all new (I also replaced the valve cover gasket less than 6,000km ago, and did the half moons, etc with gasket compound).
- It's not misfiring
- Last oil change was less than 5,000km ago
- I've recently overhauled the entire system (excluding radiator), replaced the problematic tensioner pulley and the serpentine belt
- No oil leaks, it was running perfect for the last 4 months

I have a feeling it could be the secondary air injection control valve.

I won't have a clue until I get a computer scanner and pump out those fault codes. Won't have the computer scanner for a couple of days and I'm trying to avoid going to the stealership to avoid any nonsense.

Anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this before I get that scan done? I'm pretty frustrated at this point as I've done a decent amount of work to this car in the last 2 years by myself. Any advice would be appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like my DISA is going to die or already did.

Getting codes:
P1347 - Misfire Cylinder 3
P1512 - Differentiated Intake Manifold - DISA Intake Manifold Control Circuit Signal Low

Not too sure why the P1347 code shows up, as I just replaced the spark plugs (NGK Laser Platinum) and coilpacks less than 6 months ago!!.

I guess the DISA malfunction would explain why I'm getting very low torque from a complete stop. I hear those things can be pricey. Does anyone know if the DISA valves are all the same for any 3 series e46? Like can I get one off a 325/330i and put it on a 320i?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.