BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after changing the spark plugs to Denso Iridiums, all was cool. About a week later, the service engine soon light came on, so I figured it had something to do with the spark plugs since I read that the o2 sensors might need replacing after spark plug swap. In any case, I called a local dealer the next day and the woman I spoke to said to check the gas cap--if the cap is loose, that would also cause the light to come on. I really doubted it was the gas cap but I went and checked. When I opened the gas door, the cap just falls out. :banghead: Kind of stupid that the guy at the gas station didn't know how to screw a cap on. I tightened the cap and waited a couple of days (as I was told) to see if the light clears on its own. It's been 3 days now and the light is still on. Should I just take it in to the dealer and check it out or just wait a couple more days? Anyone experience this before? TIA for any info.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The same thing happened to me last year. The light took about a week or so, and about 20-25 starts before it went out. Yours may take a little more or less time, but it will go out. They all do eventually for gas cap codes, although I've heard of some cars taking up to 50 ignition starts before they do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts