E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just recently bought my M3 in December. Unfortunately when I bought the car, the owner didn't know when exactly it had gotten its last service done. Because she didn't drive the car that long, but the owner before her was her dad and she said he got it serviced regularly. She drove it for 6 months then I bought it. Anyway... BMW won't give me any info on the car about when it was last serviced. Its about to hit the 90,000 mile mark. So I figured it would be ready for inspection II? However, when I turn the car on in the odo display it shows "next inspection due at 145,000". So my question, is should I just take it in for inspection II or just do oil changes when due and take it in for inspection when it hits 145k?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hey guys, I just recently bought my M3 in December. Unfortunately when I bought the car, the owner didn't know when exactly it had gotten its last service done. Because she didn't drive the car that long, but the owner before her was her dad and she said he got it serviced regularly. She drove it for 6 months then I bought it. Anyway... BMW won't give me any info on the car about when it was last serviced. Its about to hit the 90,000 mile mark. So I figured it would be ready for inspection II? However, when I turn the car on in the odo display it shows "next inspection due at 145,000". So my question, is should I just take it in for inspection II or just do oil changes when due and take it in for inspection when it hits 145k?

If there is any doubt then get the Inspection II done. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also agree with you guys, but im still thinking about it. depending on the opinions I get on here, I might just give it a oil change. I'd much rather spend the 2,000 on something else for the car. It runs/sounds good.

I'd like to spend the extra money on exhaust or maybe a suspension upgrade....not sure what to do yet though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Call a different dealers service dept, and give them the VIN#: There are only a few that will not give you past service information over the phone. Most of them will even print out past records for you if you show up in person. I was able to get all of my cars records (starting with the break-in service) printed for me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If the previous owners dad used BMW dealer, its probably in record somewhere. Carfax might have the service information of the dealer and phone # (my 05 did). Call them up, tell them the vin and they should tell you everything that was done to car at that dealers service center. Although they can't give you any hard copies for legal issues Im assuming.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Physically show up at a dealer, present the key and ask for the service record with personal information omitted.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I also agree with you guys, but im still thinking about it. depending on the opinions I get on here, I might just give it a oil change. I'd much rather spend the 2,000 on something else for the car. It runs/sounds good.

I'd like to spend the extra money on exhaust or maybe a suspension upgrade....not sure what to do yet though.
If its about to hit 90k, id go ahead and get new suspension. Im at 70k on my m3 and Im looking to get some coilovers very soon.

Physically show up at a dealer, present the key and ask for the service record with personal information omitted.
Thats definitely the best choice. But if OP bought the car in a different state like what i did, phone call should be all he really need.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
If its about to hit 90k, id go ahead and get new suspension. Im at 70k on my m3 and Im looking to get some coilovers very soon.

Thats definitely the best choice. But if OP bought the car in a different state like what i did, phone call should be all he really need.

In a perfect world - but if I were running a dealership and a person I never met called on the phone asking for detailed service information on a car that they only claim to own - why would I provide it? I have a duty to the owner of record to maintain some privacy of their past business transactions - and this caller didn't care enough to actually drive to my dealership to validate that he owns the car by presenting the key. Whats in it for me as a dealer?

The present owner doesn't need to driver to the original servicing dealer - any dealer can look it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts