E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice on fixing up my 2001 BMW 325xi. I just bought this car off craigslist for a very fair price. I've been going through the hoops of getting registered in the state of NY and the last step was to get it inspected. I was on my way to my local Pep Boys and the dreaded "Service Engine Soon" light came on. When I got to the Pep Boys I asked them to read the codes to see what was causing the light. The scanner read P0420 and P0430. A quick google search led me to believe that something is wrong with either my catalytic converter or my O2 sensors. The man I bought the car from replaced one of the O2 sensors and gave me 4 other ones, so i'm hoping that is causing the codes.
Here are my issues.

1. The car has temporary tags from the DMV, that will last me a week. After that the car needs to pass inspection, which it will not with the service engine light on.

2. If the problem is the catalytic converter I have to get a brand new genuine or CARB certified one, which go for ~$500.

So my current plan is to try to replace the O2 sensors and clear the check engine light and see if it pop up again. If that happens I might have to look into getting a new catalytic converter. As an added note I mistakenly put 89 octane gas instead of the minimum 91. I've heard that bad gas could cause those codes put that it's not very likely. Lastly I know the fines for expired inspection tags are less than $100. Could I drive it around and get in inspected a little later when I have time to deal with all this? Will I get a fine when getting it inspected?
Any input is greatly appreciated! I really like the car and what to keep it for as long as possible, so any comments are welcomed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts