BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys so forgive me for making a lengthy thread that is already out there but I got a Service Engine Soon Light today and used my friends cheap $40 code reader (bought on amazon) and recieved these codes:

P0300
P0303
P0304
P0306

Now, I have done research but all I see is people mentioning their CEL light coming on. I think this is the same light but I tried to research that but had no luck.

1.So first question, is CEL the Service Engine Soon Light?

Background: 2001 M3 Coupe 128k spark plugs replaced about 200 miles ago. No previouse record of any changing of spark plugs/coils (i changed spark plugs to prevent any problems and bring the car up to maintenance)

So the other night i came home really late and the range on the car said 8 miles left on the tank when i parked. I decided i would pump gas the next time i drove (gas station 2-3 blocks away). Today i turn on my car and everything is well. I begin the journey to the gas station and after about 2 block i feel the car start to lose power. I then get the Service Engine Soon Light. I got to the gas station filled the tank half way. turned the key to position 2 and back to off about 6 times. (I've read in other forums it "primes the fuel tank") I then began to drive and noticed the lost of power still was there (the car would hesitate in 2nd gear when i gave more than 30% throttle and i would almost stall out on hills) I made it to my friend who had a cheap code reader which spit out the codes above.

2. Was this all due to me leaving the car extremely low on gas?
3. I am going to a shop friday, but what are ALL the possible reasons this happened?
4. I read its a simple fix by getting new coils. Should i buy new sparkplugs if it does in fact end up being the coils? (i have about 200 miles on them, NGK Mfg DCPR8EKP-6 https://www.ecstuning.com/ES11069/ )
6. Do you think me changing the spark plugs and not the coils is the reason this happened?

Please guys don't make fun of me. Help to the best of your ability, it is greatly appreciated. Forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would reset the codes first and see if they come back before spending money. From my experience with the car and on forums cylinder misfires are pretty common and may not even throw a light. Yes cel is the same service engine soon. Lastly, get the codes read by something that can give more details or is specific to BMW's. This could give some valuable insight to your problem. My guess is there is something wrong besides just misfires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like coils to me. A BMW code reader will tell you exactly which coil is out. No spark plug replacement needed. Recommendation is to replace all coils but if money is tight only the bad coils can be replaced. It's about 65 dollars per coil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts