E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Service Engine Soon Light & Dealer Scan Report

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ElrichMeister 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2001 330ci E46.

Within the last 2 weeks,

A new fuel pump has been installed, new battery, and lastly a new alternator.

After the alternator change, everything was fine for 2 days, drove from LA to San Diego, on the way back the "service engine soon" light came on.

I've attached the BMW dealership scan report before the alternator change.

Should I be concerned about the light, will it go away on its own ?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

See attached file for BMW report.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I'm not sure you can rely on the report from before, and you have to get a new scan of the codes.

You can read the codes for free at lots of autoparts stores in California. Notably, Autozone has a tool loaner program. You give them your driver license and they give you the scn tool. You go outside to the parking lot and plug the scan tool in and read the codes. You can also use the tool to reset the codes.

You are interested in new codes that are also on the list of old codes.

THE PROBLEM YOU WILL HAVE
Is that the report you have now is in BMW format, and the scan tool is gonna give information in the OBD II Diagnostic format. But, knowing the OBD II reason for the Check Engine (SERVICE ENGINE SOON) light is the only way to know if the problem today is the same as the problem last week. You cannot use the report from last week to know what is wrong this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.