E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
second time i have had the service engine soon indicator in 2 months - just bought my car too. is this normal for a 2000 323i? if so, is there a convenient way of finding out what the problem is without taking it in?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep - that was the first thing i checked. did a forum search - seems like i am stuck takin her in...

·
Dale Earnhardt's Double
530 Posts
Sorry to hear. Let us know what they say. Is the car running rough? Could be either the gas you are using or a problem with the O2 sensor ( to name a couple more things).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
car is running fine - last time it happened, it was a cam-sensor, and i only use premium unleaded gas. hmm... only mod i have made was to put in new bulbs for my low-beams and did notice they had different wattage than the originals - could that be it???

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,501 Posts
Gofast - I have the same '00 323i. Bought it about a couple months ago, too... And - same thing. The light was on and off for a couple weeks. Not the gas cap, not fluids. Took it in for CPO warranty check - they replaced one sensor and a cold start air pump. $50 deductable later, things are ok. I know it sucks - just got the car, but that's what the extended warranty is for.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bright side - at least i only live about a mile from the dealer :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
buy an obdII code reader and you can see what is wrong and reset the light yourself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no intake - yet! soon to be mod, after i shark it and get some clears...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm... found one for $150, anyone know of a better deal?

cabrioguy said:
buy an obdII code reader and you can see what is wrong and reset the light yourself.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok - got my car back. it was a couple of bogus signals: leak in gas tank (turned out negative), air pump sensor (???). anyway, nothing was wrong with the car, they just had to reset the computer :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

wtf? did i get a lemon? or are all e46s 'quirky' (what my salesman called it) :confused:

car is still a dream to drive, but stuff like this takes away from the experience...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts