BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,260 Posts
It's your Check Engine light. It means the DME (engine control computer) has registered a malfunction somewhere that affects your emissions control system in either a primary way or as a side effect. The DME records the malfunction as a fault code which it stores, and you can read using a OBD2 scanner plugged into the port by the driver's kick panel.

·
Registered
26,059 Posts
Could mean your gas cap isn't on right. It can take a while to trigger after getting gas . and would take a while to reset unless u have code reader. obdfusion works to reset this code and will tell u what it is for $5 plus or minus...u also need obdii bluetooth thingy.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
New to E46. What does this light mean?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

It's the Check Engine light for the rest of the universe. The specification allows text that states, Check Engine or Service Engine Soon, or to use a pictograph. The rules state that whichever method is used, the light must illuminate when the key is in the ON position and the engine is off. If the light is on and the engine is also on, this is a fault condition.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
It's your Check Engine light. It means the DME (engine control computer) has registered a malfunction somewhere that affects your emissions control system in either a primary way or as a side effect. The DME records the malfunction as a fault code which it stores, and you can read using a OBD2 scanner plugged into the port by the driver's kick panel.

POINT OF ORDER
The light only means these things if it is on at a time when the engine is also on. If you start the car, the light comes on ahead of the engine, then goes out after the engine starts. If the engine stalls for any reason and the key is still on, then the light will also come on and does not necessarily indicate anything other than the key is on and the engine is off. The only time the light has meaning is if it is on and the engine is also on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All,
Thank you to all. BaliDawg updated DME so this is all his fault! LL

Spanner, Thank you. Helpful to know.

dmax, I will be careful with the gas cap.

Solidjake, Should have looked first, questioned later. Over reaction...

jd, Got it.

Pablo, Forget the bank account... this car is negatively impacting my net worth!!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,025 Posts
Was able to clear the code with INPA that BaliDawg set up for when he updated DME.

What was the code? If the problem is still there it will return, but also keep in mind that the car can have error codes without any warning light being turned on. Some have the mistaken impression that with the lack of a warning light on means there are no problems.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You don't just clear the code.
You have a $5000 computer trying to tell you something is wrong.
You should listen to WTF it has to say

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, code said “thermostat.” Car is not running hot in 100F summer heat. I will check it again tomorrow. No other codes showing.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You don't just clear the code.
You have a 15 year old computer trying to tell you something is wrong.
Like most teenagers it gets surly for reasons we often don't understand.
You might need to buy it a milkshake and just listen to it for a while.
I've had a thermostat throw codes in several ways- the neatest one
was that it was sticking open, and the car caught that before it registered
on the (very buffered) temperature gauge.

I replaced the thermostat and turned off the buffer. I love this place.

t

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. The code has yet to reappear. If it does I will make note of it. Still learning... Robb

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,093 Posts
Thanks everyone. The code has yet to reappear. If it does I will make note of it. Still learning... Robb
Hi Robb, you can always reach out to me directly if you like. You have my contact info. :hi:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts