BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Service Engine light is on. Nothing is wrong with the car, it's completely my doing. It came on a couple of starts after I removed the screen from my MAF. I like the way the car runs w/o the screen, so I don't want to put it back in.

Is there a procedure I can follow, or a piece of equipment I can acquire to turn the engine light off? OR...am I going to be forced to take it back to the dealer?

Tim R.
2002 330Cic

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,152 Posts
Call your dealer...

That's what I've always hated about the SEL...it's more of an annoyance than anything.

You may try disconnecting the battery for 10-15mins...but I'm not sure if that will do anything.

·
Track it
930 Posts
you can cover it with electrical tape...many cabbies in nyc use this trick...its a pretty easy diy..just ask a cabbie how its done...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Sent him a PM but....

It's already been proven and final word from a BMW Master Tech who investigated it, that removing the negative battery cable will not reset the ECU. ONLY using hardware to interface with the ECU can it be reset.

I suggested locating any shop that has a ODB-II reader and have them simply clear the emissions codes which is part of the generic ODBII interface.

I know it is painful to put the screens back on when the gains are so high but it seems some 330s can handle it and some can't.

vinnymac said:
Call your dealer...

That's what I've always hated about the SEL...it's more of an annoyance than anything.

You may try disconnecting the battery for 10-15mins...but I'm not sure if that will do anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts