BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I had the clutch replaced under warranty and immediately after noticed the pronounced driveline whine between 70 and 80 mph. I did a search here and elsewhere and came to the conclusion that the butyl strip on the carrier bearing was (1) not replaced, (2) replaced improperly, or (3) needed additional tape. This is based on the fact that the whine was not there at all prior to the clutch replacement. I mentioned the TSB associated with this problem and he immediately said it was wrong. Went on to say that owners bringing in TSBs make his life a living hell. I was only trying to be helpful in pointing to the actual problem area. Wow, did I ever learn a lesson, do NOT tell the service guys anything and let them waste their time as they see fit. Hmmm... I think they don't like knowledgable customers, maybe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Was this at Sterling? I have run into that attitude on occassion... If it happens again, with my SA, I'll need to remind him about the time and money the tech wasted replacing the headlight bulbs in my wife's car and trying to figure out what the problem was, when in reality the issue was a TSB that related to the heated seats being on and causing the headlights to flicker... My wife dropped the car off and did not mention the TSB... while I was talking to the tech (with the SA present) and he was explaining how he had replaced the bulbs and I mentioned that the issue related to the seat heaters, the SA immediatley piped in with "I have the TSB for that"... So, the dealer not only wasted time and money (labor and parts) becuase he didn't clue in on the TSB (because my wife didn't mention it, as most customers would not, and as the SA would prefer it) but my time as well... I tell SAs about TSBs to save my time, not theirs... The inference I got from my particular SA was that people popping up with TSBs were causing him hassle, because the TSBs do not always relate to the specific model, year, etc. of their car. I can understand that it becomes a hassle to explain to someone driving an E46 that a TSB relating to an E39 is probably not related... However, in a situation where you have a new issue that did not exist prior to the repair, and you have done the research and found a possible cure, the SA should be thanking you for your input, IMHO.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
It is the service advisor's JOB to deal with customers, however annoying they may be.

I had a problem with the seat in my 528 that the dealer could not fix. I found what looked like a simple and certain fix on roadfly, and went back and told the SA about it. He didn't give me any attitude about it, but he did say lots of people come in with stuff they saw on the internet and usually they are wrong. However, I had actual part numbers and instructions so he said he would do as I asked. 2 days later my car was fixed, and when I picked it up, the SA told me that they would have never figured out how to fix the problem and that I saved them dozens of hours of diagnostic time and from now on they would believe whatever I told them!

He also knows that I have done many mods that they thought were not possible or too expensive to be worth it, like retrofitting OEM xenons to an E46, OEM "Angel Eyes" and CELIS taillights to an E39. He also now acknowledges that I know more about E46's and E39's than he does. He also thinks I am crazy but that is a different story...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got a call from advisor. They can't duplicate the problem. Okay, I asked him if he drove my car bewteen 70 and 80. No, only 60... well, how the blazes could he duplicate it then??? He said they will have to keep the car overnight so he can call technical support. Believe guys, I gave him TSB number, parts invoved, the whole shebang. Also affidavits from many E46fanatics members and their dealers resolutions. This is just plain stupid IMO. By the way, replacing the butyl strip looks to be at most an hour job. Just turned into a day long affair... Very frustrating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old David Crosby tune that somehow reflects the way I feel when I wake up at 5:00 am to go to work. Great song, interesting frame of mind...the 330 helps me recall. By the way Salvator, not Sterling but close. I have actually heard good things about Sterling and was considering a change. One last thought, when I see this kind of inability to diagnose somewhat simple things, and then think of the complexity coming down the pike (as in 645Ci, new M5, 745i, etc) I wonder how long THOSE cars will take for warranty issues...shudder.......

·
Registered
313 Posts
BlackIEci, quick question, why did you have your clutch replaced? In other words what gave you the indication that something was wrong with it, and how did you convince the dealer something was wrong with it?

thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Felt goofy from day one. Vibration as the clutch was engaged and as time passed, a pronounced notchy feel throughout. Towards the end, you could feel a mild rumble even with clutch fully depressed. Took it in and of course got the old "unable to duplicate". Made an appointment with service manager (great and knowledgable guy) and he drove the car with me in the passenger seat. Drove 1/2 mile, turned around and said they would look into it because there was definitely something wrong. They replaced the clutch, plate and bearing (looks like it was the bearing faulty). Now I have the whine. Two steps forward, three steps back. If you are having a funny feeling clutch, have the service manager check it out. good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
BLACKIEci said:
Just got a call from advisor. They can't duplicate the problem. Okay, I asked him if he drove my car bewteen 70 and 80. No, only 60... well, how the blazes could he duplicate it then??? He said they will have to keep the car overnight so he can call technical support. Believe guys, I gave him TSB number, parts invoved, the whole shebang. Also affidavits from many E46fanatics members and their dealers resolutions. This is just plain stupid IMO. By the way, replacing the butyl strip looks to be at most an hour job. Just turned into a day long affair... Very frustrating.
Hope you at least got a decent loaner... If you do decide to switch dealers, I do recommend Sterling... They have their issues, but overall, I am satisfied with the service I receive there... Plus, I know the General Manager on a first name basis, and don't hesitate to call him when I run into a brick wall with his underlings... Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
BLACKIEci, what daelership in NOVA are you talking about so I never go there? Is it Fairfax? Cause they've always given me problems. Even though it's a hike, I always make the extra effort and trip to VOB (where i purchased the car) which is on Rockville Pike in Maryland, they're the best IMO :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts