E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
321 - 340 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #321 · (Edited)
My focus is back onto manual swap, got a bit distracted with other things. :ROFLMAO: I was able to snag the old harness from my gf's old motor that I swapped out last weekend. Thankfully all-set for pin outs and such. Time to start on a purchasing spree, and sourcing M3 trailing arms as-well.

-> I did snag 5mm spacers for the rear to help them poke out a tad.

--

Much needed bath!

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Honorable Mention:

Last weekend, I helped my girlfriend and her dad to swap an engine in her 2002 BMW 325xi Touring with an estimated 232,xxx? (cluster went poof).The original M54B25 had enough, and went poof. Possibly lack of maintenance from previous owner? Cylinder 3 specifically (valves left the chat). With that said, they found a M54B25 on FB Marketplace from another touring with an estimated 130k.

Because I am a great influence, it got headers installed. Little bit left to do, but soon enough it will be back on the road and she will enjoy her wagon once again!
Will receive a tune and a full diagnostic so it’s road ready and figure out if cluster can be repaired.

Glad I was part of saving another E46 Touring.

--

This was a great learning experience on my side, this was the first time I have ever pulled an engine out of any car and put one in. Beyond fortunate to be part of that.

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 · (Edited)
I finally was able to do some spirited driving and test out these new calipers, and I must say I am beyond impressed. The confidence of the braking power, and feel is fantastic. I can't really compare my old calipers, because of the fact the passenger front caliper was sporadically sticking and under spirited driving you'd get shudder out of the brake pedal. Besides that I am very content and glad I went this route.

--

Tonight I threw my wallet at FCPEuro. I bought all brand new bolts for mounting the ZF, driveshaft, trans brace as-well OEM trans mounts. I also bought everything for the shifter linkage which I decided to go E60 Shifter route. After reading around reading around, it seemed like a good factory short throw option. I wont reuse my center support and guibo that I just replaced on my auto driveshaft, and ill buy new for both. I will replace the centering sleeve and re-greasing the CV joints and it should be all set to go in. I did buy new O2 sensors as-well, more or less preventive maintenance at 134k

I also bought stainless steel clutch line, and clutch stop, and EGR block-off plate (time to remove my SAP. Since my 323iT is 2000, I have the freedom of having 2 not ready monitors.) from gargastic.

Essentially, everything will be new and should be a great feeling clutch and shifter!

--

I will be buying finally a go-pro with an external mic and hopefully get some good WOT sound clips.

--

Lastly! I will be putting my old O2 sensors, and SAP into my gf's green 325xi for now to get the stupid emissions set, and she should finally be able to inspect the darn thing. Oh, the rear glass hatch has a short somewhere it keeps popping when its closed, so I will have to do some detective work.

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #324 ·
Update on her Silver 325xiT
We finally got the front end back together. Sadly, the rear hard passenger brake line decided to go poof, and leak all the brake fluid out. We made a new brake line, and that sorted that issue. The good news is, it finally moves. We were able to drive out of the garage, and back in. There's a couple things left to do before it goes for a test drive on the road.

I am sending her cluster to @scottjoh to be repaired, since it's currently dead.

Finally, it really needs a wash inside and out it is definitely rough.

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Finally bought everything I needed for Manual Swap! The total cost of everything was shy of 3200$ for parts. I decided to get all new hardware for everything so everything will be fresh. Next year I'll drop subframe and do reinforcement and all new bushings, etc. I inherited my grandfathers Elantra Touring after his passing and I will be using that for winter, so wagon will be staying in garage and won't have to deal with any salt!

Sidenote: @George Hill am I missing anything?

Product Rectangle Yellow Font Material property

Yellow Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Azure Yellow Font Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,347 Posts
Finally bought everything I needed for Manual Swap! The total cost of everything was shy of 3200$ for parts. I decided to get all new hardware for everything so everything will be fresh. Next year I'll drop subframe and do reinforcement and all new bushings, etc. I inherited my grandfathers Elantra Touring after his passing and I will be using that for winter, so wagon will be staying in garage and won't have to deal with any salt!

Sidenote: @George Hill am I missing anything?

View attachment 935572
View attachment 935573
View attachment 935574
View attachment 935575
Selector seal
Rear main seal
New pressure plate bolts (may be part of kit)
Butyl tape for CSB

you really don't need to replace the bolts on the flex disc

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 ·

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,403 Posts
I had gotten a Corteco RMS that was just the seal as part of a bunch of parts that someone had given me, but I had read in the tis (IIRC) that they shouldn't be used if they had spent more than 6mos with no pressure on the lips so I bought the full BMW kit that you have listed which includes a plastic plug that's removed at installation.

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
Ended up buying a GoPro the other day. I found some time today to slap it on, and get some under load acceleration.

Posted it as a reel on my Insta:
http://instagr.am/p/CUTUNMwpkLy/
--

News?
  • Manual swap is happening October 15th.
  • I decided that I wanted to retrofit Power-fold Mirrors. I sourced two for 120$, just need to buy the switch for the inside. Did I need this no? But having the mirrors fold in when locking is rather a nice feature to have.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,403 Posts
I wouldn't mind adding the power fold to my M mirrors, but sourcing the motors for those seems to be "buy a set of reps, steal the motors, throw reps away", and I don't see it being useful enough since with the way the M mirrors are shaped the car only gets maybe an inch narrower. I'd be doing it just for novelty.

Look forward to seeing how yours come out!

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #335 ·
I wouldn't mind adding the power fold to my M mirrors, but sourcing the motors for those seems to be "buy a set of reps, steal the motors, throw reps away", and I don't see it being useful enough since with the way the M mirrors are shaped the car only gets maybe an inch narrower. I'd be doing it just for novelty.

Look forward to seeing how yours come out!
Just ended up getting Sedan/Touring Power-Folding ones instead of the Coupe or M Mirrors. Seem'd like to much of a pain to retrofit.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,403 Posts
Just ended up getting Sedan/Touring Power-Folding ones instead of the Coupe or M Mirrors. Seem'd like to much of a pain to retrofit.
They are, especially since I also had to retro ribbon cable motors into the M housings. That's why I drew the line before retroing power fold as well.
Lol

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Finally bought all the missing trim on my MTech 1. Its not perfectly paint matched, and paint matching 20 year old paint, is always tricky. I'll eventually repaint the whole car in the future, so this will for now.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

--

Ended up buying EBC Redstuff paired with Stoptech Slotted Rotors. I didn't like the pads that came with the PSM Calipers, and I decided to switch rotors too. It helps working for a wholesaler warehouse for car parts, the discount is nice.

I quickly learned that Z32/R32 GT-R pads are not cheap. The MSRP is for EBC Redstuff is 180$ for front pads. The Stoptech Slotted Rotors are 360$. Thankfully, I paid much less then that.

Automotive tire Wood Gas Luggage and bags Bag

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Locking hubs

--

Manual swap is happening in a week, which is making me quite excited! I finally have all the parts. Currently I am getting all the wiring sorted and sort-of pre-wired, which will make that part much easier for the shop (close friends) doing it. I'll be coding once its done as-well.

I didn't expect to manual swap so soon, however it will be worth it!

·
Registered
2000 323iT
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #339 ·
News?

Manual swap got moved to next week.

--

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

--

Plans for weekend is stainless rear lines, and rebleed all four calipers again and fix a head shield that is dangling. Maybe I should adjust my fog lights and headlights again properly one night too?

Also got new headlight covers from FCPEuro. Which I might Lamin-X.

--

Thats it for now.

321 - 340 of 348 Posts