BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to change my spark plugs on my 323. I'm fairly handy as i've successfully done a couple diy jobs under the hood (valve cover gasket, ignition coils) so i'm not too worried about my mechanical abilities. My only question is whether I should use anti seize compound or not. I've done some reading here on the forums and elsewhere through google and some people say it's absolutely necessary while others say it isn't. What's the deal. Should I or shouldn't I?

·
Registered
26,261 Posts
I'm about to change my spark plugs on my 323. I'm fairly handy as i've successfully done a couple diy jobs under the hood (valve cover gasket, ignition coils) so i'm not too worried about my mechanical abilities. My only question is whether I should use anti seize compound or not. I've done some reading here on the forums and elsewhere through google and some people say it's absolutely necessary while others say it isn't. What's the deal. Should I or shouldn't I?
Discussion has come up before...search 'anti-seize' and 'plugs' in title search.

I'm 99.99% that for some plugs yes, and others no. On ours? No.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I learned to change my BMW plugs from a guy that has 4 BMWs and he does all of the work on them. He uses a tiny bit of anti-seize on plugs, lugs, and the rotor set screw.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I've not done the plugs yet in my car, but have always used anti-seize on other cars. I figure a little bit can't hurt. Why risk a rusted-in spark plug?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,754 Posts
Always use a sparse amount of anti seize and a torque wrench on spark plug threads.

·
Registered
26,261 Posts
This is not the first time this discussion has been held here.

I'm very certain you should technically not use it. I also know that some plugs call for it and others don't.

I also know that the torque spec changes considerably between a plug with and a plug without antiseize. You use much less torque if you put on anti-seize.

Never on lugs, ever. And never just because this is how I learned...nothing personal.

Find out for real. You've already got both possible answers here--don't just flip a coin on it. It's a fundamental thing--fact checking and getting things right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
seize or not ?

jd--my vote lands in the little dab'l do ya camp--been wrenching air-cooled vw's for years--they run hot--you have not lived until you have struggled with a hard to reach tight plug--suffice to say a tiny amount of anti-seize compound can't hurt and will most assuredly help----

·
Registered
763 Posts
I understood that the NGK Laser Platinum BKR6EQUP plugs came with a Trivalent Metal Plating, providing superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties, making anti-seize unnecessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts