E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a s54 (2000 with a facelift) Touring with the stock M3 exhaust from the donor.
The resonator is from a ZHP.

I am seeking advice if i can silence the s54 exhaust note closer to a stock e46 ZHP exhaust note.
I am willing to sacrifice some HP loss to achieve a quieter exhaust note. I plan to add another muffler on section 1 to mitigate the inherent exhaust rasp. I am wondering if I can add an additional muffler (assuming there is space) to subdue exhaust note of the s54, or do I revamp the entire exhaust.

BTW:
If anyone has a spare m3 section 1 for sale.
Please let me know.

·
Registered
2002 S54 touring, ‘70 electric XJ6
22 Posts
E36 M3 muffler here, mated to stock M3 section 1 and a modified section 2. Section 2 is cut off right after the resonators, then e36 muffler flanges cut off, expanded using an expanding mandrel, shaped into the e46 M3 “D” shaped tubes and welded on.
One thing to look out for, should you choose this option, is tire rubbing on the muffler during hard right hand corners. I have more than 10mm clearance to et42, 245/40/17 Michelin PS4S tires and even after cutting the weld flange down a few millimeters, I still rub a bit. There’s another 5mm left that I can take off and re-weld that’s still on my to do list.

it sounds very much like a stock e46 M3, which is about as quiet as you can fit.
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Automotive tire

Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Engineering

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a whole thread in the Touring forum of GeorgeHill dyno testing different muffler combos that IIRC involves comments on sound level, as well.

Edit: S54 conversion muffler shootout
Thanks you YJSAABMAN
You just made my Friday a truly Happy Friday.
Prior to posting I did a search on the forum. I guess I need a tutorial on proper search words.
I will be reading up on this during my lunch hour.

BTW:
Do you know if there is a thread on putting a Touring on a weight saving diet?

I am curious if there is a way to shed some pounds from a Touring without streetability and safety issues.
I started off with shedding my body weight by about 30 lbs. I used to be on 180lbs with a height of around 5' 7".
I have maintained the weight for over five years. I don't believe I will be losing more weight (lol).

I know I can shed additional weight by using APEX wheels, lite-weight battery, flywheel, manual seats and removal of the roof rails, spare tire, jack and tools. I am aware of George further improving on the Carbon Fiber Touring slicktop roofs which I would consider icing on the cake, but I am far from achieving that goal.

I am wondering if there is a brake conversion using lighter calipers and hubs.
I cannot delete catalytic converters in CA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts