E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the door panels off my 2000 sedan today and have a few answers for anybody wondering what fits. To start with, the stock speaker is an odd size. It measures 6 1/4 inches across, and just slightly deeper than 2 1/2 inches. The space the speaker fits in has posts that hold the panel to the door. The speaker fits snug inside these, so a 6 1/2 wouldnt fit without some mods.
That being said, I had decided on diamond 6 1/2 inchers, because they are very thin and I think the mods to make them fit would be minor. Unfortunatly, online stereo didnt have any and didnt know when they would get them.
My next choice was jl audio 5 1/4's. The price was very good, they sound great and will fit easily. I went with their xr-cs series, the jl top of the line. I ordered them today. As soon as they come in, I'll post pics of each step of installing them. By the way, I'll be powering them with a kicker 800.4, and also have kicker 12" L7's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I currently have DLS Referance 5 1/4" in my sedan, and am looking to replace these with the Diamond 5 1/4" M6 series, or possibly HEX series. I know the dealer who fitted my DLS had problems getting them in due to them being very deep.

Anyway, the info and pics on how to remove the door panel, and where the speaker is fitted would really be helpful since I wish to install the new Diamonds in myself, and want to import them from the USA - Diamond Audio is available in the UK, but is extreamly expensive...

·
Registered
59 Posts
same here

yeah i had the same problem wid my door panels as well. i had mbquart psd series installed. i had to do a lil mods to make it fit snug. it was a pain.

·
Registered
352 Posts
yeah i had the same problem wid my door panels as well. i had mbquart psd series installed. i had to do a lil mods to make it fit snug. it was a pain.
What size of PSD did you installed?

I am thinking about the QSD 213, it should fit in sedan doors right? 5 1/4" speaker.

Can you post pics of your MB Quart?

·
Registered
59 Posts
psd

yeah i think its psd 213. i have the 6 1/2 all around. they sound pretty good. i think there is not dat much difference wid qsd. correct me if i am wrong.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just checked MB Quart's size, 213's are 5 1/4 and 216 are 6 1/2.

I am not sure of the differences between PSD and QSD, haven't heard them in person yet I was just dreaming of my car audio project. How much did you pay for the PSD 213? I wonder how much these go for in an "authorized dealer" place instead of online. There is probably a big price gap between PSD and QSD as the Q series is their top of the line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.