BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: Question for everyone

As you know the OEM Cd player in our BMW is weak for a fact; however it looks great in the dash.

What i want to do for so long is to find an accesible space where I can install a secondary CD player. So basically, the OEM is just there for look, the secondary is actually the primary music source.
Has anyone found any space to install this cleverly? There is a space right above the ashtray, but it's not deep enough. Only if that is deep enough, it's really a great place for another CD player.

Is there any Audio wiz in here that can show me an alternative to solve this problem??

Much thanks..:confused: :dunno:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It's actually quite simple. The factory headunit can control some aftermarket CD-changers (e.g. Alpine) w/ appropriate adaptors. Then you buy the top of the line CD-changer w/ optical output and hook it up to a premium DAC and voila, you have the best pre-amp signal possible.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is DAC???

Someone has this done. Please show me .. Thanks

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
DAC = digital-to-analog converter
What I described is what a lot of audiophiles do w/ their home audio. Use a solid CD transport that reads the digital signal from the CD's (no processing done) and pass it onto an external D/A-converter via co-ax or optical cable. I haven't done this myself so you'll have to wait for real experts to come in and share their experiences.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts