E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my secondary air pump hasnt been working for the past 6 months? is there any big problems it might be causing as side from not passing state inspection? like does it affect the over all engine? or would i be completely fine without it?

·
Registered
503 Posts
It helps your cats warm up under the rich fuel condition. I would fix it

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Would it cause a blow head gasket?
No.

SAP is probably the simplest system on the car to troubleshoot and diagnose.

There are 2 different SAP systems for these cars, I assume you may have the newer system with the 2 hoses connected to the SAP pump and the SAP air intake MAF sensor?

Read away:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1041726

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1023149

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965526

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1052605

Late model MAF "priceless" - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965526&highlight=priceless

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My car is blowing white smoke out the tail pipe, i have the gooie yellow crap on my oil cap, my anti freeze keeps emptying out and i know for a fact my vanos is bad, that sounds like a head gasket problem, but my mechanic insist that the secondary air pump might also have something to do with it, he's given me lots of if and buts about replacing my head gasket. what do you guys think of this?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Just anther piece of emission garbage. Mine is disabled through software along with the cold start function. I HATE IT. Now my car starts up quietly even with my straight through exhaust. It was obnoxious in the mornings but not no more! Leave yours enabled if you have cats since it does make them more efficient and you will need your sap for emissions

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
My car is blowing white smoke out the tail pipe, i have the gooie yellow crap on my oil cap, my anti freeze keeps emptying out and i know for a fact my vanos is bad, that sounds like a head gasket problem, but my mechanic insist that the secondary air pump might also have something to do with it, he's given me lots of if and buts about replacing my head gasket. what do you guys think of this?

Your mechanic CLEARLY is clueless when it comes to cars and the SAP system.

The SAP only runs for up to 90 seconds or until the engine temperature hits approximately 100F. After 100F the SAP does not run.

You may have a head gasket problem or you may multiple issues, some normal, some not.

The yellow Mayo/goo under the oil fill cap can be normal under some conditions if the engine is running too cool and not driving far enough to fully warm up the engine oil.

The coolant leak/disappearing may or may not be a head gasket problem. These cooling systems can and do have many leak areas like the expansion tank, water pump and the coolant sensor in the lower radiator hose.

The smoke may be due to a head gasket or a failed CCV system.

Time for a new mechanic because I sure would not let this person pull the cylinder head if he does not understand the SAP system and how it works and what is does.

A head gasket problem should not be so difficult to identify for a skilled mechanic. Is there a reason to suspect the head gasket as a problem? Has the engine been overheated recently?

·
Registered
299 Posts
+1 on a new mechanic. If you don't know one, I'm sure there are plenty of people in your area on this board who can share their experience.

FWIW, I have a friend who owns a shop. He's a great mechanic, and so is his employee. I wouldn't let anyone else near my Dodge diesel, but they don't know BMWs and I don't let them do anything complex on mine. Find a BMW expert.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, so the car has been close to overheating 2 times, I have now lost a lot of power, my pistons have oil in them, specially the fifth one. And like I mentioned the white smoke. Where can I find a mechanic in the dfw area? (Dallas fort worth)

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 M3 ZCP
922 Posts
Alright, so the car has been close to overheating 2 times, (Dallas fort worth)
What do you mean by close to overheating? What is "close"?

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
Read Tom Smith's profile.

I really love Tom's beginnings and his outlook on things, his life motto is a good one!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I mean by close is that I cought it half way to red so I imidiatly stopped the car and called for it to be picked up, now I think I might have over heated but on the thermostat it hadn't gotten to red or just started moving the needle towards it.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
The SAP will not lead to a blown head gasket. It's only job is to pump fresh air into the exhaust so that the CATs can use it to convert the crap in the exhaust to clean stuff while the CATs are still cold. A CAT needs to be hot to do it's job. In the absence of heat, it can also use more air. The SAP provides the air. It is entirely a process to make the tailpipe emissions cleaner, and only during Cold Engine Operations.

·
Premium Member
2005 M3 ZCP
922 Posts
What I mean by close is that I cought it half way to red so I imidiatly stopped the car and called for it to be picked up.
:thumbup: on stopping and calling for a pickup. So many times on here ppl don't do that sorry to say. I hope it didn't get hot enough to mess anything up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.