E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has got a 318i 1999 and having trouble with the secondary air pump squealing and grinding, I know it only goes on when it is first started on cold mornings for a minute or so but here in sunny old England it is cold every morning about this time of year.
It's got on my wifes nerves so I popped down the car breakers and got a second hand one and replaced the squealing grinding one.
Just started up and although it does not squeal etc the car seems to be running well rough when idling and when I go to drive it is even rougher and a loss of power.......after a minute or so the engine light starts to flash so have parked the car back up.
My questions are:
Why did the car not run rough and flash engine light with the old squealing secondary air pump.
Should I just go and get another pump and try that one?
Dont want to spend out if I can afford it as going to sell this car as soon as I can.
Thankyou for any help

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
engine light flashing means you have misfire. Idk how that would relate to the air pump.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The air pump has absolutely no influence on the performance of the engine, it only makes the emission controls more efficient when the catalytic converter is cold. Is it possible that you disconnected something else during the pump replacement?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts