E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...

my secondary air pump ( or at least one of the components ) is finished. I have codes for it on bank 1 & 2.

My question is does it hurt anything on the car to drive with one that is bad because im at school and wont be able to replace it for about a month or so. Is it simply for emission such as cleaner fumes coming out of the exhaust or does it actually affect the car?

Thanks for any help!!

P.S. does a bad pump affect fuel mileage?

·
Registered
683 Posts
yeah you're fine man, i've been driving with mine hissing at me for about a year now. All it does is heat up you're cats and 02s so you "get california emissions" lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea ive done research on how to change it and i have also seem that bavauto pdf as well. i just wont be able to do any work or change any parts until im home thats why i was asking if it would cause any problems. since where i live i dont need emissions then that makes me feel a lil better. lol

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
The Secondary Air Pump does not make Bank 1 and Bank 2 codes. It won't hurt anything, other than to affect the emissions while the engine (CAT) is still cold. The car makes smog, and the CAT turns it into clean air. The process of turning smog into clean air is not very efficient when the CAT is cold, so they provide a source of fresh air to help make the smog clean until the CAT warms up. The source of clean air is the Secondary Air Pump.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
The Secondary Air Pump does not make Bank 1 and Bank 2 codes.
I disagree...you can have secondary air low flow bank 1 and bank 2 codes. So i'm gonna have to go ahead and say you are wrong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you checked the little vacuum line that opens the valves? that cracks alot and is very simple to fix. The pressure hose cracks alot too.
no i havent been able to check anything. im up at school and its been freezing and snowing like crazy so the 1st time ill be able to check will be in a week once i got home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok the main reason why i ask is because when i start the car from a complete cold start and its freezing outside, the car dies the first time i start it and i have to do it again. sometimes the cars rpms are rough and the car seems like its going to bog out and die.

this only happens until it is a little warm and only at cold starts.

so as long as everyone is telling me its not going to hurt anything then i dont feel like i have to rush to fix it.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
+1 i dont know for a fact but after doing a lot of research of the codes and everywhere said the secondary fuel pump.
now wait a minute, you said in the first post that it was secondary air pump, not fuel pump :hmm:

·
Registered
683 Posts
i disagree...you can have secondary air low flow bank 1 and bank 2 codes. So i'm gonna have to go ahead and say you are wrong.
+1

·
Registered
452 Posts
The secondary air pump does not cause codes that specify bank 1 and bank 2. It causes ONE code.

How do I know? Because I got the code two months ago. Opened up the hood when i started the car to discover the pump wasn't running. Replaced it and the valve it connects to. The code went away.

If you discover the pump actually is running, then replace ONLY the valve it connects to. I hear its good practice to replace both at the same time anyway.

ok the main reason why i ask is because when i start the car from a complete cold start and its freezing outside, the car dies the first time i start it and i have to do it again. sometimes the cars rpms are rough and the car seems like its going to bog out and die.

this only happens until it is a little warm and only at cold starts.

so as long as everyone is telling me its not going to hurt anything then i dont feel like i have to rush to fix it.
This makes me think you have a separate, unrelated problem in addition to the pump/valve.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
The secondary air pump does not cause codes that specify bank 1 and bank 2. It causes ONE code.
once again, you are wrong also...it CAN thrown codes for both banks.

I wish people on this site would quit giving advice if they don't know what they are talking about. It happens way too often.

I'm willing to bet that your tiny little vacuum hose connected to the valve is cracked open keeping the valve from opening. Before you start the car on a completely cold start, open the hood, then start the car and go to the engine and see if the pump is running. It will be loud and you will know if its running or not.

this is the vacuum line i am talking about

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not having a functioning SAP will not affect normal driving performance unless the valve is stuck open causing exhaust gas to back into the SAP. It is a health issue at that point as well.

Make sure your SAP turns on during a cold start, which normally runs for about 1 minute.

330ciandr6 makes a good point about the vacuum line cracking (which runs into the valve).

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Quick question...

my secondary air pump ( or at least one of the components ) is finished. I have codes for it on bank 1 & 2.

My question is does it hurt anything on the car to drive with one that is bad because im at school and wont be able to replace it for about a month or so. Is it simply for emission such as cleaner fumes coming out of the exhaust or does it actually affect the car?

Thanks for any help!!

P.S. does a bad pump affect fuel mileage?
I wrote you a detailed answer on the Bimmerforum thread where you posted the same question. Don't expect me to go through the whole thing over here. Go back and look at the other site. Yes it will affect your fuel mileage if the SES code is thrown. It is seeing a low flow over your 02 Sensors.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts