E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 8300 miles on my '02 and last nite, for the second time, my car didn't start. The battery is fine and of course there is gas in it. When attempting to turn it on, all the gauges light up and there is complete silence when you turn it pass the auxiliary.

I tried many times depressing the clutch, turning the wheel, etc. Well, the first time this happened, I decided to turn off the heater and voila..it started.

This time everything was off and after the 5th time it started. I don't get it, do you?!:dunno: :ben:

Opinions?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, I have heard of a couple cases where when it is cold out, the idle is kinda weird and then stalls. Haven't heard anything like your case where it didn't start at all. But, for your INFO, My dealership told me that we will be getting a new software upgrade for our M3 here in Edmonton due to the colder temperature.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually, in the current edition of Car and Driver, they have an article on the M3 and its in the long-term test section.

In it they talk about it having problems starting and they say sometimes it stalls when trying to start.

·
'a certain moderator'
34,406 Posts
probly your battery, has juice,but not enough to turn the car over. happened to me, the moment i jumped it started without a problem

i doubt it is anything serious, batteries suffer in the cold!

-brendan

·
Slow in, slower out
4,365 Posts
MCJ said:
...for the second time, my car didn't start. The battery is fine and of course there is gas in it. When attempting to turn it on, all the gauges light up and there is complete silence when you turn it pass the auxiliary. ...
Your key is bad. The same exact thing happened to me repeatedly over several weeks until it got to the point where I was stranded in a 7-11 parking lot for 30 minutes. The dealer claimed a "Key Fault" code was stored and I got a replacement key for free. The problem has since surfaced a couple times with my other key which I plan on getting replaced under warranty at my next service next week.

Ed

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been dealing with this same problem for 5 months. wasn't sure if it was temperature related or just intermitant. 7 service visits and 3 new sets of keys later, the problem still exists!!!
dme and ews have been reprogrammed also. I hate to say it but my dream car is a lemon!!!

·
Über-Geek
836 Posts
Just to talk about that cold start thing..

only one time.. when it was REALLY F'ing cold out.. my car felt like it was missing after i started it.. but it went away and smoothed out rather quickly once some heat built up..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My problem has been fixed.

There are known engine start failures by BMWNA. Brought the car in and they ordered a new ignition control unit and no problems since!:thumbup:

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was thinking if it would be the key. Maybe its f*cked and not sending the code properly.

I had this problem with my Jetta key and dealer replaced it for free......

Hope this helps...

·
Black and Proud
16,266 Posts
M3PinoyDriver said:
My SG M3 almost stalled when I started it when it was really cold outside
yea.. REALLY cold outside in so cal right?
:dunno:

if so cal morning is considered cold enough that the m3 has a hard time starting... then the m3's got some issues

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.