E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

My seat memory either does not store my seat positions or its stores them but but pressing the memory position switches does not recall them - just a load of random movement. Also, the mirrors do not move either - and the key certainly does not trigger the positions either.

One side note - the fore aft adjustment of the seat base switch only moves the seat for a few seconds before cutting out. Then I have to re;ease the switch and click again - every annoying and probably related?

The seat tilt and recline does not suffer form this and neither does the any of the passenger switches.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I believe the seat memory is partly controlled by the body control module but also directed by your cluster. I'll look it up

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
The general module (in E46eze it's called the GM5 module) does not affect the power memory seats. Here's the link to the guy that fixes the GM5 module: https://www.bmwgm5.com/default_right.htm.

Ok. So your power memory seat has a memory that may be going bad or has some other issue. Questions:
- is your car experiencing any other electronic/electrical issues?
- have you had the offending seat out of the car?
- has the car been in the shop recently?

Try this BMW approved procedure:
- disconnect the ground/earth/negative cable from the battery
- disconnect the positive cable from the battery
- short the cables together for at least 10 minutes
- reconnect the positive cable to the battery
- reconnect the ground/earth/negative cable to the battery (sparks are ok)
- reset the clock

This forces all electronic modules to perform a hard reset.

Fix the problem?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply. Answers in green:

The general module (in E46eze it's called the GM5 module) does not affect the power memory seats. Here's the link to the guy that fixes the GM5 module: https://www.bmwgm5.com/default_right.htm.

Ok. So your power memory seat has a memory that may be going bad or has some other issue. Questions:
- is your car experiencing any other electronic/electrical issues?
When I first bought the car, it had incorrect door mirrors that were not even connected - poor repair. I replaced them with the correct type (LinBUS) and now they work and offside dips when reverse engages. However - they do not respond to memory though they are memory spec.

- have you had the offending seat out of the car?
Yes - and replaced the seat switching unit for another - same issue.

- has the car been in the shop recently?
No. I do all the work on it. My diagnostic tool shows no error when testing all the circuits.

Try this BMW approved procedure:
- disconnect the ground/earth/negative cable from the battery
- disconnect the positive cable from the battery
- short the cables together for at least 10 minutes
- reconnect the positive cable to the battery
- reconnect the ground/earth/negative cable to the battery (sparks are ok)
- reset the clock

This forces all electronic modules to perform a hard reset.

Fix the problem?

Will try the hard reset and report back. Many thanks.

You said the GM5 Module does not affect seat memory - but then posted link for its repair?

One last question - the issue with the seat fore/aft switch cutting out after 3 seconds - any ideas?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I tried the hard rest and it hasn't made a difference.

The issue is SPECIFICALLY with the motor / switch moving the seat forward and backwards only. If I try to move the seat forward or backward it will only do it in 3 second bursts before cutting out. Then I need to release the switch and click again t0 continue. It makes sense that this is also stopping the seta memory from completing adjustments. Seat till and backrest are unnaffected.

Tired motor? The switch set has been replaced already.

Driving me nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.