E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya everyone,

My mate Pulo (who is apparently popular here) referred me to this site after I had quite the long discussion with him regarding cars, specifically E46s.

I'm in the market for my first (half-decent) car. My current car is a '92 Honda Accord and man is that thing getting old, almost half a million KMs on the clock. It's doing well, but, I'm sorta over it...

I'm not a fan of the Aussie cars and I don't want cheap Japanese cars, either. Which leads me to German engineering. I think Mercs are for old people and I'm just not a fan of the "cheaper" Audis.

...Which brings me here. :)

I'm in the market for 3-Series - and I'm sure I don't need to mention, an E46 specifically ;) - ... My budget ain't big, but I just want everyone's opinions on what to look for and stuff when buying. Typical problems and what not.

Also, at what KMs do the E46s start to have problems? 200k? 300k?

As I told Pulo when I was talking to him, yeah I'm not gonna be buying the best, most awesome BMW... But I will take care of it and I'm more than happy to pay the cash to get proper servicing done, etc.

Long first post :p ... Hope you guys don't mind the questioning, but, hopefully within a few weeks/months, I'll be a proper fanatic with an E46 of my own :excited:

- Morsolo

·
Registered
302 Posts
Welcome Morsolo !

I changed from a Merc and changing to a Bimmer meant, better value for money.. HIgher Spec'd, Power, Extra Options Etc..

I was searching for a while as I was pretty fussy and had a budget also..
When searching I pretty much was only searching for: Black, Sunroof, 6Cylinder, Auto, Odometer Reading under 100,000Km's..
^^ As you can see.. Yes I was searching for about 3 Months hahaha..

And thats where I picked up mine.. Although I am starting to wish that I bought a Grey one or silver one..
(Blacks nice but Im having to wash my car Weekly as my Bimmers a daily driver and being a Black car.. Well u know what I mean) ..

What are you actually looking for? Coupe , Sedan ?
Anything in particular?

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Welcome man!!

how much do u want to spend?

coupe or sedan .? not fussed?

manual auto? not fussed?

most go for a coupe..
and if u dont have much to spend.. i would suggest an early model .. 328 would be my pick
ill assume u want auto
so hows this for a start?
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...true&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294967079 4294729572 4294967052&silo=1011

its hard to say "at what kms things will go wrong"
but there are i guess "common problems" with the e46's

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi guys :)

Well, if I were to be picky, my MUSTS are full leather interior and the new-style steering wheel (I think that's post-'01) and black, or dark blue at least.

Transmission, most likely auto. I would be driving through the Melbourne CBD a fair bit and I really can't be bothered with manual in stop-start traffic. However, the steptronic transmission (or whatever it's called, steptronic is correct I think) would be awesome to flick over into "almost manual" mode; for when I undoubtedly plan to drive down the Great Ocean Road :)

Which brings me to engine size. I'd like 6 cylinder at least, specifically which engine I'm not too fussed.

Budget... Well probably around 15k, buuuuuuut, I suppose I could push it to 20k and just take out a bigger loan if it was for a perfect "first" Bimmer.

As for sedan vs. coupe, what are the differences (other than doors)? I really don't care (I don't want to get too picky), but are there benefits of the coupe? Which seems to be the popular choice.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i love my 04 coupe and i dont think i would ever own a four door but in saying that they are both very nice, so it is entirely up to you, i think coupes are a little deerer though? not too sure. in terms of engine mine is 2.5L and i find that it still has the get up and go when you need it.. its not anything special but does the job. i couldnt imagine there being that big of a difference in .5 of a litre between the 325 and the 330 but i could be wrong. good luck with your searching!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooo, just ran into this one on Carsales.

Link here

It's in Woolongong, NSW... No idea how to get there. (I'm in Victoria)... But it appears to be a good buy (yes I know the 320 is the baby of the V6 family). The only problem is, I have a habit of not trusting people and I just know I'd go all the way out to NSW, inspect it and find tons of problems and waste my time and money going there. :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
Welcome man!!

so hows this for a start?
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...true&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294967079 4294729572 4294967052&silo=1011
:thumbsup: Thats actually looks like a pretty good buy..! Very well Spec'd

Peter, You're an E46 Guru yeah? Is there actually much difference between the various different 6cyl engines?

In regards to power/performance I read that the 325i makes 141kw and does 0-100 in 8+ seconds and the 330i makes 170kw and 0-100 in 7secs flat.. (Redbook) some sites said the 330i in 6.5 but i dunno.. It seems like a fair difference but are these, how should I say, "real" figures..?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

Link here

It's in Woolongong, NSW... No idea how to get there. (I'm in Victoria)... But it appears to be a good buy (yes I know the 320 is the baby of the V6 family). The only problem is, I have a habit of not trusting people and I just know I'd go all the way out to NSW, inspect it and find tons of problems and waste my time and money going there. :(
Hi and welcome!
Just get Pulo to fly ya. haha

:thumbsup: Thats actually looks like a pretty good buy..! Very well Spec'd

Peter, You're an E46 Guru yeah? Is there actually much difference between the various different 6cyl engines?

In regards to power/performance I read that the 325i makes 141kw and does 0-100 in 8+ seconds and the 330i makes 170kw and 0-100 in 7secs flat.. (Redbook) some sites said the 330i in 6.5 but i dunno.. It seems like a fair difference but are these, how should I say, "real" figures..?
Figures are pretty close, not the 6.5 sec.
The differences are basically just power differences and the higher you go the more features you get as standard. However, 323 were replaced by 325 and 328 were replaced by 330. So 325 and 330 are probably a better pick.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hi and welcome!
Just get Pulo to fly ya. haha
That's just crazy enough to work! I shall ask him next time I see him. Lol.

Also, stupid me just realised I don't really need to worry about the new-style steering wheel. I could always just replace it down the track. Going from the "old-style" to the "new-style" (steering) wheel in any E46 Coupe would be pretty easy, right?

So I guess YGOAMG's recommendation is worth a look, next time I'm out that way I'll see if I can organise an inspection. However, that brings me to my next problem. How does this stage of the process work? Obviously I don't know any mechanics out that way, do I organise to take the car to BMW themselves (if I want to pay that kinda cash)... Or... I dunno :(

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
its actually quite a job to replace from the old style steering wheel to the new one.. reason being is the airbag is compleatly different, so you need to buy a new airbag aswell and probbaly some other stuff aswell. im not too sure of it compleatly but i know its harder than changing from the new wheel to the M wheel.

id fly you james but i cbf lol it takes too long in my planes... just get an airline flight its quicker lol

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
james if i didnt write my care off u could have just baught mine :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its actually quite a job to replace from the old style steering wheel to the new one.. reason being is the airbag is compleatly different, so you need to buy a new airbag aswell and probbaly some other stuff aswell. im not too sure of it compleatly but i know its harder than changing from the new wheel to the M wheel.

id fly you james but i cbf lol it takes too long in my planes... just get an airline flight its quicker lol
But... it can still be done, right? Anyone know the approximate cost it would be? (just for my own future reference)

...and I'm sure Air-Pulo is more reliable than Jet Star. :(

james if i didnt write my care off u could have just baught mine :p
I would have... but... yeah... :eeps:

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
WO AIR PULO!

im not the only pilot on this forum yeah.. just for the record.. COUGH TONY

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

Link here

what does everyone else think of the linked car provided?
i think personally its a good buy
msport 320 low km and low price bcause of its location... looks good to me.. just a smal dent in bonnet which can be sucked out i presume... just need to find a reliable indie out there to do an inspection now i guess ;)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Hey Morsolo welcome to the forum :hi:
One thing to consider if deciding between a 2D or 4D is how much you'll really need a back seat for passengers and stuff. I had to go a 4D due to the fact that I pick up my grandmother fairly often and she hates sitting in the front seat so there was no way she was going to be able to get into the back of a coupe. I also use the back seat for transporting boxes of stuff around, so its easier to get into and out of than a coupe. So you just need to look at your needs and see what suits you better.
Also, if you can afford it, I'd get a bigger 6cyl than the 320. Even though its a 6, its still a bit of a dog in terms of power, try to go 323 at least.
Anyway good luck with your search.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've enquired about this car a few weeks ago - it's a repairable write-off (which can be anything) so i didnt want to go forward with it.

Call him to find out more. seems like an honest bloke.

Cheers
Anf

what does everyone else think of the linked car provided?
i think personally its a good buy
msport 320 low km and low price bcause of its location... looks good to me.. just a smal dent in bonnet which can be sucked out i presume... just need to find a reliable indie out there to do an inspection now i guess ;)

·
Registered
10,292 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dont worry about going interstate... these days u can get a ticket for $30-$50 ..
and be back in a few hours..
sometimes it takes longer to drive to the airport with traffic then the flight to NSW.. lol

if u dont care about performance the 320 is prob the way to go ..

i just had a quick look for u..

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...carhome&__Nne=15&trecs=442&__sid=12BE2AB82D35

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...carhome&__Nne=15&trecs=442&__sid=12BE2AB82D35
Oh wow, I don't think I saw those last time I checked.

That second one looks really nice, 325, too :)

@ Anf: Oh, damn. I can't really be bothered with having to repair straight off the bat. But thank you very much, comments like that are exactly why I came here :)

@ shannon1: I'm not too fussed about the power... Though, a 325 and above would be nice if I could get my hands on one (which it looks like I could). As for doors, I don't "need" 4D, so I'd prefer the coupe I guess ;)

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Oh wow, I don't think I saw those last time I checked.

That second one looks really nice, 325, too :)

@ Anf: Oh, damn. I can't really be bothered with having to repair straight off the bat. But thank you very much, comments like that are exactly why I came here :)

@ shannon1: I'm not too fussed about the power... Though, a 325 and above would be nice if I could get my hands on one (which it looks like I could). As for doors, I don't "need" 4D, so I'd prefer the coupe I guess ;)
just remember... the difference between an average looking car and a good looking car is... lowered springs and a nice set of wheels..
do that to either of the above, and ull have a nice car to cruise in!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just remember... the difference between an average looking car and a good looking car is... lowered springs and a nice set of wheels..
do that to either of the above, and ull have a nice car to cruise in!
That's a very good point. Plus tinting the windows :)

Anyway, I just got one more question on "buying advice", what sorta KMs are good to go for. When do the belts tend to go? I'm guessing anything under 200,000 is probably good... But I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts