E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some PB EX-P sealant and I'm anxious to use it and see results. I'm going to wash, claybar, then apply the sealant. I know the sealant needs 24hrs for a full cure before I apply my wax for best results.

On the downside, where I live there are late afternoon/night thunderstorms on an almost daily basis lately. How much will rain affect the bonding if it comes in contact hours later. If it is ok, how many hours of cure do you think it needs before rain can come in contact.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I just got some PB EX-P sealant and I'm anxious to use it and see results. I'm going to wash, claybar, then apply the sealant. I know the sealant needs 24hrs for a full cure before I apply my wax for best results.

On the downside, where I live there are late afternoon/night thunderstorms on an almost daily basis lately. How much will rain affect the bonding if it comes in contact hours later. If it is ok, how many hours of cure do you think it needs before rain can come in contact.
The rain will certainly bring some contaminants with it. I would probably recommend washing the car with a traditional wash or with ONR. You could try just a quick detailer and a microfiber towel instead if it's really light. Then apply the second coating. Another option is to maybe ask a friend to borrow the garage for an evening or something similar.

Greg @ DI

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been using Zaino for many years now and I will say that in my experience rain does affect long term durability if allowed to hit the fresh sealant within hours after applied - I say hours in that we get the afternoon thunderstorms in my part of the woods too and when that has hit the sealant say an hour or two after I've just layed down the Z I may get 2 months of good beading versus 4 months. I heard somewhere that water inhibits the cross linking of the molecular structure but I'm no chemist!

I like Gregs idea of borrowing some cover for the cure time.

Maybe a PoorBoys expert could offer some product insight. Good question BTW.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts