BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been working on a 2005 330ci I picked up for pretty cheap, and noticed something odd with the locking system.

While locking the car from the inside, unlocking the car from the outside, or unlocking the car from outside, the locks are quiet - they only make the clicking noise that's to be expected.

But when I lock the car from the outside, this clicking noise is accompanied by a loud screeching noise. It seems loudest between the door lock and the front speaker, right next to where the window comes out.

The sound isn't too bad (but is still noticeable) with the top up, but seems pretty unbearable with the top down or any windows open. Still, it seems like it has to be intentional - I can lock the car no problem from the inside, so it doesn't seem like it could be a failing motor or anything.

I included a video of the sound here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnicYHqo60U

Thanks for any help!_a_

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,109 Posts
I'd concour. Really haven't heard E46's make that noise. About 1/2 of the E39's have it at a slightly lower freq. and twice as long.
Really annoying as you start to drive off and hit the 7.5 KPH threshold, the doors lock then lock and screech.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts