E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
E46 325ci - Mystic Blue
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been debating about exhausts for about 3 months. Was set on the eissenmann but due to the £250 shipping on top of the exhaust to uk. I thought I would try scorpion as was next day delivery and half the cost.
Searched for hours but there is very little about these exhausts online.

Got the exhaust installed on friday evening as I work for a main dealership i let one of the techs put it on with me.
Sounded great on first start up in the workshop as it echoed around.
But after 5 mins of driving the drone is ridiculous. Pulling away from lights at a steady pace causes vibrations through the whole car.
On the motorway it drones so bad you have to almost shout to the person next to you.

The exhaust also sits about 2/3 inches below the rear valance

In short dont try to save a few quid go and buy a decent exhaust off the batt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
262 Posts
I walked away from a nice car because of the pipe. The droning was horrendous.
I get the point on a sports car but these are cruisers, with a little poke.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Everything else stock?
Usually on these inline 6s there's horrible drone when the resonator has been removed.

On my n54 I have catless dp's and muffler delete and kept the resonators. It's not even loud until you get on it. Just gurgles at idle.

I haven't even looked at exhaust options for the m54b30 yet as the stock setup sounds decent to me. I disconnected my exhaust flap and in the convertible it sounds good.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,430 Posts
Very happy with the magnaflow full system, it has a crossover ,which a dual system should

·
Registered
E46 325ci - Mystic Blue
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes completely stock. Only wanted a little more grumble as stock is too quiet with music on ect.
Shame as the clips of eisenmann exhausts sound awsome.
I'm not afraid of a loud exhaust as I have a twin straight through box on my classic mini but this ruins the beemers vibe.
Hope this helps anyone in the same boat as me
There is a 4 week wait for eismemann but worth the wait

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
638 Posts
Yes completely stock. Only wanted a little more grumble as stock is too quiet with music on ect.
Shame as the clips of eisenmann exhausts sound awsome.
I'm not afraid of a loud exhaust as I have a twin straight through box on my classic mini but this ruins the beemers vibe.
Hope this helps anyone in the same boat as me
There is a 4 week wait for eismemann but worth the wait
Sorry to hear it doesn't sound great for you. It's really hard to know the result unless your sitting in the car and right behind it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a Scorpion on my otherwise stock E36 328is. It was installed before I bought it but I’ve never had a issue with drone. In fact, it’s almost too quiet.

·
Registered
328Ci
194 Posts
These cars are heavily muffled from factory. Just one muffler out of 3 shouldn't make that drastic of a difference. Maybe there's a leak at the join?

Edit: yeah, I wouldn't pay Eisenmann on principle. REMUS charged me 25EUR for shipping, while Eisenmann wanted 250EUR. That is absurd price gouging.

·
Registered
E46 325ci - Mystic Blue
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These cars are heavily muffled from factory. Just one muffler out of 3 shouldn't make that drastic of a difference. Maybe there's a leak at the join?

Edit: yeah, I wouldn't pay Eisenmann on principle. REMUS charged me 25EUR for shipping, while Eisenmann wanted 250EUR. That is absurd price gouging.
Yeh I didnt think there would be much diffrence with just a muffler change just open the taps a little, as you said you can hear how held back the sound the stock system is. Dont get me wrong raving the car past 3k is a great blend where you can hear the engine sound and a bit of exhaust.
Iv hear else where ar20 resonators are great and dealing with rasp and drone if anyone has any experience?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try the Reuter exhaust, it's made by Eisenmann but much cheaper.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had Scorpion muffler clamped to otherwise stock 330 exhaust. It did not sound any different from the cabin than ZHP spec muffler that came out of there. There wasn't much of a difference in sound outside either, perhaps the "zing" of straight 6 wasn't as pronounced.

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
262 Posts
No, just that you'll hear your pipe better with the music off.

·
Registered
E46 325ci - Mystic Blue
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
As you can see the exhaust sits low and now it seems it is the rubber mounts according to them causing the height issue. Eventhough the hangers hit the heatshield before the exhaust sits right.
a Shop told me they would have to bend the excess hangers to fit right or make new ones

1 - 17 of 17 Posts