E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many posts here, I bought a Schwaben/Foxwell NT510 scan tool to do maintenance, resets and adaptations on my 2008 e92 335i. I recently replaced my oem "wet" battery with an AGM "dry" battery (same 90ah rating). I can't figure out how to "adapt" the battery and switch from "wet" to AGM setting. It shows I have registered the new battery (shows 3 new batteries, woohoo!) but when I try to go to the next step I get this message under "Power Supply" heading:

"Battery could not be replaced. Possible cause(s) of fault:
-No communication with IBS or engine electronics.
-DME/DDE program status cannot save battery change.
-Terminal 15 was not switch on. (sic)
-Engine running

Well, no, the engine was not running. The car starts and runs normal though but I did not run it very long since I was unable to change the charging profile to AGM. I'm at my wits end as I've tried many times, different menus, different key positions, etc, but can't figure out how to change the setting to AGM.

Does anybody have explicit directions that they have followed register and adapt a new battery? Has anyone else encountered this problem with the Schwaben tool? Yes, I read the Schwaben manual and Bentley... but still can't figure it out (maybe I should stick to my e28?) Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm pretty sure to change the battery type you need something that can actually code it, like INPA, not just a scan tool. For example, I have the BavTech scan tool (which is actually very good and able to do lots of stuff) but I can only register the new battery, I can't code it to a different type.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply atinybug. The Schwaben tool is supposed to be able to both register and adapt different battery settings. Foxwell hasn't responded to my request for help (so much for customer support!) so I'm hoping someone else with a Schwaben tool has done this procedure or help with what I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi ,man ,Can anyone confirm if there's any difference between the ECS/Schwaben tool and the Foxwell NT510 loaded with the BMW software ,this address :http://www.foxwelltool.com/wholesale/nt510-multi-system-scanner-with-one-fre-car-brand-software-and-obd.html? It looks to me like they are an identical product and you're paying a $20 premium for a black bezel on the ECS version. Both appear to have an identical interface, hardware and 18-month updates, so if I can avoid the middleman and save $20, that's 5 quarts of oil in my sump.:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My understanding is the Foxwell NT510 is the same tool as the ECS Schwaben tool (just "rebadged"), instructions are the same, etc. BTW, Foxwell never responded to my tech support request so you will likely be on your own with any issues.

·
Vendor
13,144 Posts
Packin4 the Schwaben tool can register a new battery but cannot change battery type.

Difference between the NT510 and the Schwaben BMW/MINI tool is software packages. The Foxwell branded tool (sold via Foxwellshop which is a reseller of Foxwell Tech products, they are not Foxwell Technology) only comes with your basic BMW package for code reading. The Schwaben BMW/MINI tool is also going to include the vehicle service tools, e-brake retraction, and a few others. HERE is a link to another forums discussion thread on the tool.

-James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ECS - good to know your Schwaben version does a little more than the NT510. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that your sales rep didn't know what they were talking about re changing battery types "wet vs. AGM" (more than just registering a new battery). It's been a while but I seem to recall on your website Q&A that it stated this tool would change the battery type, you should proof the Q&A to see if it's still there and/or remove it. More diagnostic time will tell if the tool is worth it but it let me down on this go around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Packin4 the Schwaben tool can register a new battery but cannot change battery type.
-James
Damn, well that explains why I was going in circles in that particular menu... The text mentions something about changing the battery type and Amp-Hour rating in the following step, but it never takes you there.

I'm going from a 75Ah Lead Acid to a 95Ah AGM.... looks like I'll have to go to the damn dealership... At least the Ah setting in the car was already at 90 Ah (previous dealership must have not registered it properly), but that's still not 95Ah, and not set to AGM I'm guessing.

·
Premium Member
28,972 Posts
Look into Carly for BMW, I think there is a additional in App purchase for Battery Registration. I recall Carly should be able to code and even change the battery type?

I recall I had to go around a few times with both a MAIN STREAM battery manufacturer and Carly on this issue.

The problem is the non BMW dealer batteries typically do not have an Amp Hour rating. The battery chemistry and way the batteries are built keeps changing slightly so it seems the Amp Hour ratings are going up a bit, but the CCA values are dropping at the same time.

Even with the BMW official software, like INPA, there are NO provisions for non BMW speced batteries that have slightly different Amp Hour ratings than the batteries built for BMW sold via the dealer network.

So once I worked out with the battery manufacturer what the higher Amp Hour rating was, I had to get Carly to modify their software to allow the larger Amp Hour battery to be configured for my E70 X5.

I also have other professional level scan tools and they DO have battery coding options, but sometimes have limitations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look into Carly for BMW, I think there is a additional in App purchase for Battery Registration. I recall Carly should be able to code and even change the battery type?

I recall I had to go around a few times with both a MAIN STREAM battery manufacturer and Carly on this issue.

The problem is the non BMW dealer batteries typically do not have an Amp Hour rating. The battery chemistry and way the batteries are built keeps changing slightly so it seems the Amp Hour ratings are going up a bit, but the CCA values are dropping at the same time.

Even with the BMW official software, like INPA, there are NO provisions for non BMW speced batteries that have slightly different Amp Hour ratings than the batteries built for BMW sold via the dealer network.

So once I worked out with the battery manufacturer what the higher Amp Hour rating was, I had to get Carly to modify their software to allow the larger Amp Hour battery to be configured for my E70 X5.

I also have other professional level scan tools and they DO have battery coding options, but sometimes have limitations.
Thanks for the reply! I think most of the newer AGM batteries do indeed come with an Ah rating. As I'm finding out though, it seems there are only a limited number of battery profiles to choose from, so you may just have to pick the one closest to the battery you're installing. I just got a cable and INPA (for some custom coding), but from what you are saying it's not going to help me much with the battery registration/type/Ah settings... Maybe it will at least be able to confirm that the charging profile is set to the AGM/90Ah option... I will look into the Carly BMW stuff too, looks like you've gone through the exact same issue with your X5...

·
Premium Member
28,972 Posts
The problem is some of the tools actually want the battery part number/bar code info, this assumes a battery from the BMW dealer.

There are batteries from the local auto parts stores that fit, but they are not built the same as the batteries for the BMW Dealers.

So for example I think there were Varta and Johnson Control battery options. I also think Advance Auto changed their supplier to primarily Johnson Control and these batteries DID NOT have a Amp Hour spec/rating printed on the battery or in the online spec. I spent a few days beating on Advance Auto and Johnson Controls to finally get the Ah rating of the battery I purchased about a year ago. There are Ah conversion formulas online, but Ah capacity should not really be a calculated value, it should be a spec that is tested and verified. Calculations are not accurate at all for Ah ratings IMHO.

I first needed to know the actual Amp Hour rating of the battery I purchased, which I think was 105 Ah vs the default 90 Ah rating the software offered. Took a lot of effort to extract this information.

Once I finally was provide the Ah rating, I informed Advance and Johnson Controls that they needed this value printed on the European car batteries at a minimum and they also needed to update the spec on their websites (both Advance and Johnson Controls) to reflect what is being offered and sold.

I was told that I was the FIRST person to ever ask for the Amp Hour rating on a battery and bring this issue up!! I mean come on, the E60 series cars have been out for over 10 years so battery Registration should not be something new for the battery manufacturers, battery suppliers or Scan tool and software providers.

So I was able to get Carly to tweak their App, I expected them to offer the user an Amp Hour range that could be inputted, however, last I checked, they had just added the 105 Ah option, I assume this is a valid change that does register with the car and not just a check box to pacify myself and the App users and still tells the car the battery is a 90 Ah battery??

This entire issue frosts my ass because even Autel and SnapOn seem to miss the boat on this. I do not think INPA will give you anything other than the "standard" BMW Ah battery ratings??

G

·
cannot get ECS Schwaben tool to register battery

Like the first poster in this thread, I cannot get my ECS Foxwell tool to register a new battery. The option is there, but I get a persistent error message:

"Battery could not be replaced. Possible cause(s) of fault:
-No communication with IBS or engine electronics.
-DME/DDE program status cannot save battery change.
-Terminal 15 was not switch on. (sic)
-Engine running

I have the 9.51 version of BMW software installed, and the Foxwell site says there are no further updates available.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem with the Foxwell nt510

I'm getting the same message after replacing the battery (same battery type, higher amp-hour). Anyone find a solution to this? I'm wondering if I need to clean the contacts on the IBS connectors or something...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Partial success

UPDATE: after driving around the block I tried again and had partial success. I chose option 2 from the battery menu (the option that is supposed to allow you to change the Ah capacity setting) and this time it successfully registered the new battery, but it didn't let me change the battery capacity setting. Instead, it gave me this message:

The battery replacement was successfully entered in the DME/DDE.
The following is now entered in the DME/DDE:
To register the new battery size or type, now carry out the following retrofitting in Program:
- Battery

I've confirmed that the battery change is recorded (I can see the correct mileage recorded via a lookup in a different menu. I'm not sure where to go to set the new capacity (size) - I thought I was already in the right place based on what I've read about how to do this (and because the nt510 menus make it sound that way).

I'd appreciate if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some say that the car will charge a new battery less aggressively than an old one to prolong its life. Also, getting the size rating right is to make sure it charges the battery fully (apparently a BMW will stop shy of a full charge of a larger capacity battery if the car is configured for a smaller battery).

·
Registered
851 Posts
Battery registration

Some say that the car will charge a new battery less aggressively than an old one to prolong its life. Also, getting the size rating right is to make sure it charges the battery fully (apparently a BMW will stop shy of a full charge of a larger capacity battery if the car is configured for a smaller battery).
I changed my battery a few months ago and so I was forced to do some research. The claims are that as the battery ages, the charging system charges more agressively and if a new battery is installed without the reset (registration) the battery life may be reduced.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts