BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..can't believe I am close to 5k miles. I had the car only for two months now. Anyway, what coming up maintenance should I do. Oil change and filter at 7.5 k for sure. Is there anything else I should do in the near future. Please advise and list the jobs with the miles it should be done at.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I need some help with deciding when i should get/change the oil. My baby only has 13000 km which is about 8300 miles. But the scheduled maintenance is for 25000km which is about 15500miles. Should i wait for the scheduled maintenance or now is a good time to change the oil. :dunno:

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anybody..please help...just need to know what at what miles to do what....just one to keep my baby running good....thanks.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think most people on this board get "oil service" (BMW speak) at 5 000 - 7 500 mile intervals (8 000 - 12 000 km).

phamman: aside from "oil service", just follow the maintenance indicator inside the car (inspection 1 & 2 combine to basically check out everything).

p.s. is your last name Pham? Just wondering cause my last name is Pham. :thumbup:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jp323i...thanks for the reply. So are you saying that a service light will go on when it is time for Inspection I and II. Just out of curiousity around what miles should I expect to see this. I was also debating on wheter or not I should pay the extra $650 to extend my warranty another 12k miles or one year. Let me know what you think..

BTW, yes my last name is Pham. There is alot of us here in Orange County.....lol....:thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Most posters on this board go with an intermediate oil change between the scheduled 15K service. I have heard some conflicting things from dealers. I live in the D.C. area and called up some dealers. Some don't even recommend changing the oil until the service light comes on. But I figure 15k is too long with the style of driving that I do. My dealer offers an intermediate oil change at 7500K. It cost 50 bucks and includes changing of the synthetic oil and the filter. If I would have done it myself, it would cost me 38 in parts. So I figured it was a cheap insurance policy.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
phamman said:
jp323i...thanks for the reply. So are you saying that a service light will go on when it is time for Inspection I and II. Just out of curiousity around what miles should I expect to see this. I was also debating on wheter or not I should pay the extra $650 to extend my warranty another 12k miles or one year. Let me know what you think..

BTW, yes my last name is Pham. There is alot of us here in Orange County.....lol....:thumbup:
At about 30 000 miles, the service indicator will say it's due for inspection. Inspection 2 is at around 60 000 miles, also on the service indicator.

I wouldn't do the $650 if it's for an extra yr on the maintenance warranty but if it's for the "regular" warranty then I think it's a fair price. Keep in mind, dealer sold extended warranties are sometimes very different from the original BMW warranty (they may not cover as much, so check).

I visited SoCal when I was younger, way too many Viets. :lmao: :thumbup:

·
Invalid User
10,911 Posts
if you feel like you should get an oil change.. then go get one. it never hurts to get an oil change, well it might put a little dent in the wallet but at least you're not :dunno: about your oil.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jp323i...thanks again...i will make sure what the dealers offer if I get the extended warranty. I heard we should change our brakes around 20k...so the first one the dealer covers, the second one the dealer won't. So depending on the how much the brake job is, it might be worth it if the the dealer covers it. $650 for another year might not be so bad afterall.

Thanks again and yeah So. Cal has the most Viets. We even have an area called Little Saigon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I paid $700CDN for replacement of my front and rear brakes (rotors, pads, sensor) which is about $450USD. You replace them when you need, depends on how aggressively you drive etc.

I am wondering about the service light too. I took my car in for an oil change and they are telling me I don't have to bring my car back for 25000kms! Which is 15000miles! That long without an oil change at least? hmmmm......maybe because its a BMW? lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
phamman said:
Hey guys..can't believe I am close to 5k miles. I had the car only for two months now. Anyway, what coming up maintenance should I do. Oil change and filter at 7.5 k for sure. Is there anything else I should do in the near future. Please advise and list the jobs with the miles it should be done at.

Thanks in advance for your help.
i change my oil every 7500 miles, but remember to tell the dealer not to reset the oil change indicator. the oil change interval is calculated by the internal computer base on your driving habit (that's what my service advisor is telling me.) bmw uses synthetic oil which lasts very long (way above the 15000 miles reccomended). all e46s have brake wear indicator which will tell you when you need to change the pads. my car has 75000 miles on it and the pads are still working (and I drive like a bat out of hell most of the time too :D ), i'll change into axxis pads and brembo rotors by 2003 to get rid of the brake dust on my wheels. sorry for the long ass post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts