BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering how the two cars would compare...a 328 ci 5 speed w/ an ess kit, exh/headers, and the aquamist kit....versus e46 m3?????

·
Registered
878 Posts
ESS's Supercharged 328Ci with only the supercharger and bolt ons can run a mid 13 1/4 mile....That's what i'm doing..I have it ordered already. It was somewhat cheaper than buying an E46 M3 and way more unique. And in point of fact, the torque output of the supercharged 328ci is 274lb ft vs the M3's 268ish or so. So which would be faster? With a few more mods (exhaust, LSD, etc) the blown 328ci should be a match for the venerable M3...if not beat it!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well my goal might be as follows....swap my bottom end for that of a 328, add the ess kit and aquamist kit, and add some headers to go w/ my AA exhaust....i would also add pulleys at the time of install since they will need to be removed anyways....if i could get 300 hp at the engine, i'd be a happy man...just trying to figure out if it is worth modding my 323 as i refuse to buy a new car...ive only had this car for a couple months so im not selling it....

·
Registered
878 Posts
You'll have almost 300 hp at the motor with JUST the supercharger...probably around 270 or 280. You know ESS is great...but Active Autowerke makes a supercharger for the 323 (from what i've been told) and is probably going to be about a grand cheaper. Just to give you an idea...the E36 325i with the AA supercharger put 300 at the crank and 240 at the wheels at 8 PSI..and the AA kits include an intercooler and an oil cooler! You really can't go wrong with ESS or AA

·
Registered
878 Posts
By the way, I know how you feel. I bought my 2000 328Ci last december and seeing all the new cars makes me want a new car...but its really not worth selling for an M3 or a 330Ci. I am buying a 2001 Imola Blue M Coupe this week to make up for the power defecit! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the AA kits run like 6-7k...im planning on getting a used ess kit....they are going for 3500 or so used so i figure i will get it all done for 5k....still very uncertain as i might just save up for a new car in a year or so...decisions...decisions...decisions...Matt

·
Registered
550 Posts
Get the ASA kit on group buy @ 4995.00. With a 323 you will be at or close to 300 hp at the crank. Call Jon @ GSM @ 910-791-4844. He has a 323 there that is putting down 259hp th the wheels. Mine is at 240 to the wheels but still needs a little tuning. When done I expect to be about 260 to the rear wheels as well.:thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys....i have been getting conflicting stories on swapping bottom end...i have gotten quoted 1k-5k....not sure if its worth it but it should be good for a nother 45 hp or so...i will be giving it much thought, maybe even just get a 330 and add a normal kit...sounds like alot less headache, but again i aint selling my ride any time soon...thanks guys...

·
Registered
550 Posts
aquamist is a water coolong system. It is sprayed to help cool down the air charge from the Blower. The other version is an air to air intercooler.

·
Registered
968 Posts
TheDream21479 said:
ESS's Supercharged 328Ci with only the supercharger and bolt ons can run a mid 13 1/4 mile....That's what i'm doing..I have it ordered already. It was somewhat cheaper than buying an E46 M3 and way more unique. And in point of fact, the torque output of the supercharged 328ci is 274lb ft vs the M3's 268ish or so. So which would be faster? With a few more mods (exhaust, LSD, etc) the blown 328ci should be a match for the venerable M3...if not beat it!
You have all those cars (are getting an M Coupe), getting an ESS supercharger, and have no JOB?

Is your last name Buffet?

Who are you planning on hiring to get that puppy installed? Choices are weak in OMA.
:dunno:

·
Registered
58 Posts
jj269ci said:
could you use the aquamist with an intercooler or not?
Yes you can and people do if the compression compression ratio is high and you are trying to run lots of boost. However, I would recommend an intercooler way before the aquamist kit. The aquamist kit is very cool and works very well, but you forget that you have to refill the resevoir pretty often to get the good effects and if you are tuning with the aquamist, then you might have detonation problems without it. I would get an intercooler (if it is available).

Nix

1 - 18 of 18 Posts