BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my problem started a little while ago

First time: I turned out on the service road to get on the highway, I had the pedal mashed down all the way in 3rd and all of a sudden i lost power steering, oil light and battery light came on. I pulled over turned the car off and restarted it and everything was fine again.

I thought that the belt was slipping bc i was under power and since then I've replaced the belt and tensioner and I didnt see the problem for over a month until yesterday. this time I was in neutral rolling to a stop and the same thing happened again :hmm:

anyone know whats going on with my car?
I was going to go to a track this month and it would really suck if this happened at high speeds.

TIA

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If I had to guess, your alternator. How old/new is it?

·
Registered
866 Posts
alternator. The car should run fine without a battery.... if the alternator dies the battery discharges and dies, but if that the case you wont be able to start it back up.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,122 Posts
I recently just went through this. For me it was the Voltage Regulator, and also went out on hard acceleration. I felt a shudder, tranny went into limp mode, and instrument panel lit like a Christmas tree. Battery light also went on and off, as if it was going to fix itself at some point.

I was able to pull over, restart, and all the lights went out, except for the battery light. That was fixed when I swapped VR's.

Your case may be different, but does sound consistent with all the VR failures reported on this board. At your mileage your alternator bearings may also need checking. I have 70k on mine, and bearings were still perfect.

On a side note, it's good to take the alternator out anyway. Lots of debris get sucked into the duct and decrease the cooling efficiency of your VR. At least it was on mine. Plastics, bugs, leaves and all other stuff.

Regards,
Paolo

·
Banned
657 Posts
It's Emily Rose inside your engine. That fcuking little biatch keeps fcuking around like she's a damn contortionist.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts