E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say that I've had a Peake tool, and it worked perfectly and did everything that it said it did.

With my last car (GM) I used a laptop program to check the CELs along with monitor live data. I could also record live data and export it to Excel for analysis.

I'm looking for something more like that. I want to be able to view live data, like O2 data, LTFT data, MAF values, etc. Along with basic DTCs and enhanced DTCs.

For the love of all that is good and holy, please no one post "...but the Peake tool can do this, and those tools can't...." This isn't a comparison of tools or a slam on Peake.

I want to know if anyone uses anything BESIDES a Peake, and what they think about it. Is it a handheld unit, or Laptop software.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Autoenginuity. The basic tools covers most "universal" type data but they also offer a BMW specific module that provides access to many more systems.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The AutoEnginuity looks perfect. They put all the info out there, and after reading about it, I have no questions about what it does.

The problem with it is the cost. I should have put that I want to spend around $150 tops.

I like the idea of using a laptop again. I've spent a lot of time reading about how to do it with a BMW. Wow is it confusing. Hopefully I can clear some of that up today.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
You're not going to get any BMW model specific info on that budget. Why not just use what you used with your last car? I would expect you should be able to read the same basic parameters.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
You're not going to get any BMW model specific info on that budget. Why not just use what you used with your last car? I would expect you should be able to read the same basic parameters.
I get all of the unique BMW codes with a scan tool in that price range. I also get the unique codes for all of the other automakers as well.

When my scan tool encounters P1nnn Codes, it presents a list of automakers that I select from so that the correct code information is displayed. If I only have generic, P0nnn Codes, then I do not see the list of automakers that I must select from.

The problem with my scan tool is that the live data only appears when there is a code. I cannot see any data if there are no stored codes, and as far as I can tell, the only live data I get is from the most recent code -- if there is more than one stored code, I only see data that is relevent to the latest one, not to each of them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The software I used on my last car won't work on my 64bit laptop.

I'm currently leaning toward the Equus 3130 handheld. I'll spend some more time looking at handheld scanners, before I switch my attention to the laptop scanners. The 3130 sells for right at $125 though, and does just about everything I need it to (as far as I can tell right now).

·
Registered
10,530 Posts

I'm currently leaning toward the Equus 3130 handheld. I'll spend some more time looking at handheld scanners, before I switch my attention to the laptop scanners. The 3130 sells for right at $125 though, and does just about everything I need it to (as far as I can tell right now).
I'm using the 3100e, which I think is essentially the same machine, just an earlier release. You might be looking at a more feature-rich model, but it should be at least as good as mine, and probably better.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts

Look at the 3120. It can scan OBD I cars too. This can be useful if you have any friends or relatives with older cars that are OBD I. It looks like the added capability only costs about $20, which is a good value if you ask me.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Inpa. Its what BMW uses. Search it. And the cables only cost like $20 on ebay.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I get all of the unique BMW codes with a scan tool in that price range. I also get the unique codes for all of the other automakers as well.

When my scan tool encounters P1nnn Codes, it presents a list of automakers that I select from so that the correct code information is displayed. If I only have generic, P0nnn Codes, then I do not see the list of automakers that I must select from.

The problem with my scan tool is that the live data only appears when there is a code. I cannot see any data if there are no stored codes, and as far as I can tell, the only live data I get is from the most recent code -- if there is more than one stored code, I only see data that is relevent to the latest one, not to each of them.
I wasn't really talking about DTCs. The OP already has a Peake code reader which will give him all the engine related codes. I was referring BMW specific readings and the ability to interact with systems beyond engine management. Things of this nature:

http://www.autoenginuity.com/BMW-All-Systems-List.html

Interesting that your tool only provides "live data" associated with a DTC. Sounds more like you're getting a snapshot of conditions at the time the code triggered which isn't really the same, or as useful, as being able to monitor readings in real time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I have sold the Peake reader, that is why I'm in the market for a different tool.

I'll have to check out the INPA software. I have done some reading into that stuff, and it seems very complicated, but could be worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
I have INPA/EDIABAS, Carsoft 8 (which I think sucks and not worth the $$'S ), PA Soft 1.3.6 and a Actron CP9185 (generic OBD).

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered the laptop cable from Amazon. So I'll do some soldering when it comes in, then start the software search and download and learning.

I thought that was the best route, because if I just hate it or don't like all that work, I think it will be easy to sell the cable to get my money back, and just go with the Equus scanner.

·
Registered
10,530 Posts
Interesting that your tool only provides "live data" associated with a DTC. Sounds more like you're getting a snapshot of conditions at the time the code triggered which isn't really the same, or as useful, as being able to monitor readings in real time.
Turns out, I lied about that. I only get Freeze Frame Data. I do not get live data. I get what I get, but I called it wrong. Live data and freeze frame data are diferent, I get freeze frame. They (the makers of my scan tool) make a model that gives live data, but I did not buy it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have auto enginuity already with enhanced ford and was going to get the BMW enhanced but it doesn't look like it does any programming or can activate modules.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts