E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I totaled my 330xi Two days after Christmas, (what a gift huh)& I've finally had the opportunity to get out and seriously car hunt. I had a beater to drive in interim so it wasn't too bad, but the beater was an automatic seabring with a leaky roof. in the dead of winter, it was not a good look!
I decided to be patient and wait for the right car to jump out rather than rush into something else. I couldn't find another 330 that I like (with the options I wanted or in my price range) I found plenty of E92, but none of them were doing it for me. At the end of the day, believe it or not; I found a super clean 2009 VW GLi that grabbed me from the get. The dealership hadn't even had it on the lot for more than 5 day. They were asking 17 and after some tough but relentless negotiating, I got them down to 16.
This is my farewell, The E46 Is truely an amazing car, and while the GLi externally is much uglier, Interior is far more to my liking; as well as the engine & sound. The 2.0T, without a doubt is an amazing motor. I will say this unwavering, It would have walked my 330xi in a straight line. While yes, I've stepped from a luxury sports sedan to a sports sedan, all the luxuries are essentially retained. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match over which car is or was better, but I find myself smiling more often in the GLI, especially getting 36mpg highway and 22 average! But I will say, IMO, the MKV GTI/Jetta were the ugliest generation.

I'll be working with my buddy over @ 20Squared to get this bad lil mama tuned to my liking. Because it is a turbo application, a simple stage 1 chip tune puts the car anywhere between 220-255hp and 270-290 ft/lbs. This should be fun :D My friends My friends Stage 2 w/K04 turbo walks away from the 335i, no intake no front mount, only stage 2, k04 turbo, and turbo back with highflow cat.
The carnage: (original thread I said >25, What I meant was less than 25. the accident took place at under 25mph, telephone pole I hit is in the background)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, After it happened I was soo mad the airbag went off because I was going so slow, I was more angry at the fact that stability control and traction control did its job so well that I couldn't power out after my rear kicked out. Had I had traction control off, I would had done an AWD powerslide into a field. empty and flat.:tsk:
Oh well, should've, would've, could've....didn't :censor:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yeah, After it happened I was soo mad the airbag went off because I was going so slow, I was more angry at the fact that stability control and traction control did its job so well that I couldn't power out after my rear kicked out. Had I had traction control off, I would had done an AWD powerslide into a field. empty and flat.:tsk:
Oh well, should've, would've, could've....didn't :censor:
That sounds like when I totaled the Lexus I used to have. Slid in snow, traction control came on and sent me flying into a telephone pole. Empty spaces on both sides of the pole but I hit that pole smack dab in the middle. :facepalm:

Nice Jetta. Those can be modded really clean.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've raced a 2.0T A4 Same engine and my 330ci was definitely Waaayyy faster from a stop. It wasn't modded though.
There are two different versions of the 2.0T, the FSI and TSI (TSI being the revised 2.0T). My TSI walked pulled away from my friend awd volvo T5 by about a car, my 330xi and the volvo were neck and neck with every run.

I'm really looking forward to the engine tuning capabilities. Although I won't be going all out by any means, simple tune, proper turbo back twin intercoolers, (OEM that sits in front of the radiator and a front mount), coils, wheels and SSk is what I'm aiming for over the course of the next two years (being realistic about things)

Interior wise, Seats were the only thing in the BMW that I really was caught up on. Loved my sports, but other than that, the interior was very simple, stylish, but simple. I do miss my 330, but i'm not mad where I landed. I will own a BMW again; maybe when I'm a little older. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
931 Posts
The GLI has a nice interior, but you really like it better than the E46?
Was wondering the same thing.. did they give you a cooling off period? Go return it! I am sorry and I certainly don't mean to be rude but not only does that car look ugly that interior looks really cheap... it looks like a Honda with a leather upgrade.. infact I think the older Honda's had that dash board..

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was never a fan of the MKV, until I test drove a MkVI, now If any of you have ever looked at a new GTI, you'd be a fool to pay the 25-30k premium they run. IMO, its complete overkill. They are actually quiet solid cars, and although it may look cheap, the fit and finish is quite good. drive train is spectacular, overall I'm extremely pleased with the car and I suggest to anyone (cmpcpro included) take either a new GTI or used one out for a test drive. you may be surprised, its no rwd bmw but you'll see its far from cheap. Civic Si has a cheap feeling interior. Mazdaspeed3 has a taky interior; you'll be hard pressed to find a car in its class that can compete in fit and finish, engine, interior features and creature comforts. just saying....(and BMW, Audi, mercedes are obviously on the next plateau)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
OH... it is painful to see your E46 like that. Sorry, man.

I own a Jetta as well... it's an old VR6. Hopefully the new ones are better, I swear I have spent more time chasing electrical gremlins than I have driving that thing.

Wheels look good... I like that style.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was never a fan of the MKV, until I test drove a MkVI, now If any of you have ever looked at a new GTI, you'd be a fool to pay the 25-30k premium they run. IMO, its complete overkill. They are actually quiet solid cars, and although it may look cheap, the fit and finish is quite good. drive train is spectacular, overall I'm extremely pleased with the car and I suggest to anyone (cmpcpro included) take either a new GTI or used one out for a test drive. you may be surprised, its no rwd bmw but you'll see its far from cheap. Civic Si has a cheap feeling interior. Mazdaspeed3 has a taky interior; you'll be hard pressed to find a car in its class that can compete in fit and finish, engine, interior features and creature comforts. just saying....(and BMW, Audi, mercedes are obviously on the next plateau)
I realize pictures don't show as much so I'll take you're word on it.. if you say it's solid I believe you, I've drive other VW's and they do have the German feel... I guess what suprised me was the interior.. the way the dash is layed out without a nice center console it threw me.. but I guess I am partial to big center consoles.. that is true luxury to me..

·
Registered
609 Posts
I had a 1999.5 MKIV Jetta with the 2.0 NA motor and Automatic.

It was more fun than my e46 probably cuz it was so effortless to drive, toss around everywhere, and not give a crap about it. It definitely had a solid feel to it.

Electricals sucked hard though. None of my window switches worked properly, and if I ever got a CEL I had to put the oem stereo back in just to get the code read from autozone cuz the stereo was part of the ECU circuit. Just retarded.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would of gone for honda. They go good in snow.
I've learned my lesson with the snow, snow tires will be purchased long in advance! The Civic, while impressive for a NA four cylinder, just too douchbaggery for me. Would have loved to hop into a ZHP, only I couldn't justify the premium on a 2005 330. Love the E46 lines; but like I said before, I will be back in a BMW. It may take some time but it'll most likely have the ///M badge and two less doors than my previous!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts