E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from 12 hours of the Dragon. My exact words doing the most insane turns I've done in my life (changing direction 180-degrees WHILE on an incline) were "holy fu**." It was like a video game and I gave my car a workout like never before. I kept in mind the importance of staying in your lane and didn't have a problem with it. Windows down, cool mountain air blowing it, Sirius pumped up, the sound of performance tires screeching around corners, and the smell of burned rubber.

We ran into a brand new M3 Competition Package and E30 3-Series. That was REALLY fun. Also spotted a yellow Lotus Elise, Dodge Viper, two Mini Coopers, a parade of the new Miatas, and many sport bikes.

The trip wasn't perfect, however. On our first trip up the Dragon, we got caught behind a truck with a horse trailer going up the Dragon (and the smell of manure), and other slow vehicles other times, causing us to turn around and go the other way. But it was still worth it!

My two partners on the trip ('04 325ci/E46Fanatics member cowmoo32 and '04 330cic/bimmerfest member) approached triple-digit speeds on the roads leading up the Dragon and I was lucky enough to flash them (I was tailing) when I saw cops coming on the on-ramp on two occasions. The two V1s and Passort X50 we had were vital.

It was fun seeing people pulled off the Dragon taking pictures of passing vehicles. There are countless people doing this, and they all perked up with their cameras when our silver BMW threesome came roaring by. Like car paparazzi! I hope we'll be seen on the Dragon website. And we joined in for a while when I took the following pictures.

There was one Tennessee trooper patrolling the Dragon, and two cops on bikes we saw. But overall, not the heavy enforcement we were expecting.

We also have a video of the drive I hope to post. Can't wait to go back!

From my Garmin iQue 3600 GPS:

Total miles: 570
Stopped time: 1:40
Driving time: 9:11
Driving average: 62 mph
Max speed: 113 mph

·
Registered
657 Posts
AMAZING! thx for sharing. I'm heading up there later on this summer (August) with a few friends. Anyone south of NC that wants to meet up with our caravan along the way send me a PM.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Presns323i said:
wow, that looks really fun

no offense, but would people really "perk up" for 3 stock looking bmws? :dunno:
Well, I'm not saying we drew more attention than the yellow Lotus, but I only saw 2-3 other BMWs that day (no MBs, Audis, Porsches, etc.) Considering it was almost entirely bikers and crap vehicles like Tahoes, three similar 3-Series in a pack drew a few looks.

It's North Carolina, not Cali where the 3-Series is like a Civic.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It's North Carolina, not Cali where the 3-Series is like a Civic.[/QUOTE]

LOL that is soo true! 3-series is a German Civic here in Cali.

Would've been awsome to have a 4 wheel drive car up and down the hill.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
juicytofu said:
looks like so much fun.

Aren't they trying to build a highway through there?
RUMOR: A new Interstate is being proposed to take the place of the Dragon.

This is actually true to some extent. There is legistation in the federal government to study the feasability of constructing a new Interstate from Savannah Georgia to Knoxville Tennessee. The planning stages call for it to follow existing US 129 through western North Carolina. There are several reasons for Dragon lovers not to be too concerned. First and most importantly - US 129 borders the Great Smoky Mountain National Park which has a "HANDS OFF" policy toward any alterations to any part of the wildlands. Tennessee DOT even has problems trying to get the dead trees removed from the side of the road. Second - The other side is owned by Alcoa Aluminum and has been desinated as a protected wildlife sanctuary. There are several endangered species in the area that would bring the tree huggers out of the woopdwork if any new roads were proposed in the area. Third - At the pace that these federal proposals and studies move it would be twenty years before any such road could even be approved, much less built.

As a sidelight. Some people think the only reason for the new Interstate is to provide easy access for transporting nuclear materials from Savannah to Oak Ridge Tennessee. Many will oppose it for this reason alone.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/legends.html

I hope not!

·
A bimmer chick moderator :)
43,113 Posts
looks like you had a lot of fun :) gorgeous view :yikes:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Killboy has posted pics from the weekend! I just ordered four hi-res pics of me on the Dragon. I'm pretty excited because the only pics I've had of my car are it sitting still. Here are a few low-res for the meantime:

·
'a certain moderator'
35,500 Posts
great pics! i have discussed with some local DC fanatics the possibility of doing this... who knows, it may happen :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts