BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
14,409 Posts
The SAP system is only ever triggered at cold start, so driving around with the components unplugged has no effect.

You need to test each individual component to verify if it is working or not.
It is a very simple system and easy to diagnose.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
14,409 Posts
Yeah, that data is worthless. You’re missing all the important PIDs!

Following is a snippet from our OBD Fusion thread, which I linked way back in post #8.
Configure OBD Fusion
Read this PDF document on how to configure OBD Fusion and use it to run a Diagnostic Report, log parameters, and share the logs.
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=651719&d=1489505619.
This write-up is Android specific. iOS support is similar, but the menu options may be slightly different.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,110 Posts
I’ve never had any sap related codes I’ve even driven around for 30 miles (round trip) with the pump and the electric valve unplugged and I didn’t throw a code. When I was first chasing this down I read a lot on faulty O2 sensors especially if they have 100k+ on them so on principle I just went and replaced them since I was at 140k I went to a smog guy and he had told me to replace the valve that bolts onto the cylinder head and the electric one behind the manifold. This past fall when I was going on a gasket replacing spree I had noticed that the hard line that goes to the manifold had melted (I had already replaced it when I first got the car) when I bought the check valves I also bought the victor rein hose (just thought that it may be better plastic). My sap pump indeed does work. Everything is brand new on this system except the pump and the b&w check valve behind the manifold. I’m out of guesses and I’m running out of time.
It won't. Wait what?

Secondary Air System: Low flow limit check; MIL illumination takes TWO driving cycles.

Not every OBD monitored system will set the MIL lamp in one drive cycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
before I let my brother in law take the car I had been driving without it connected and there was no mil ever

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
BaliDawg I’ll be over at his house this weekend I’ll try and make a better log. Thanks for linking the instructions

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
14,409 Posts
before I let my brother in law take the car I had been driving without it connected and there was no mil ever
Anecdotal evidence, but not proof a disconnected SAP does not trigger error codes and SES light.
Each fault code has its own criteria for when it is pending and when it is an error. They vary quite a bit, and are not always exactly what you would expect. Each emissions monitor is similar in its criteria.

When I had a similar problem on my E39 where the SAP monitor would not PASS, I read up and watched youtube videos on the system, how it works, when it runs, the components, how to test each, etc. I tested every component and they all passed. Further research revealed that old lazy pre-cat O2 sensors were the cause. Replaced those and SAP went PASS at the next cold start. You’ve already replace those, so the next step is testing each SAP component thoroughly.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,065 Posts
I cannot remember if I had a SAP code. I had a O2 code for sure and took care of that.

This seems to be one of the most frustrating errors to work through.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey guys sorry for the delay on the logs I’ve been quarantined because of Covid I should be able to record them Saturday

21 - 29 of 29 Posts