BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all so I have an 02 325i and I have been chasing this problem for about 8 months now and I still can’t figure it out. So the problem is that I’ve replaced the Kombi valve the hose coming from the pump (it had a hole about the size of a quarter) the line going from the Kombi valve to the electric switch the electric switch itself and both precat O2 sensors. I didn’t replace the pump because it still works perfectly. Due to CA smog laws I can’t just delete it please help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Year and model E46?
Any trouble codes?
All other emissions monitors already in PASS state?
It’s a 2002 325i I’ve read through the threads Jfoj suggests everyone to go through I’ve even gone through the ones about tunes and sea foam. All monitors are in pass except sap and Evap but in California I’m allowed 1 not ready monitor but sap is a required monitor

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
3,584 Posts
I think (?) the INPA (emulates my factory ISTA) has a secondary air pump test, under 'service functions" of the DME selection. I would avail myself of the tool (on a laptop) and run the test to see if it passes the test?

The test above is just that, a test. It will NOT force the OBD monitor to set, however it will let you know if the system is working, or conversely something else is amiss.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,890 Posts
I’m not very techy and I have no idea what to do
That’s going to hold you back. You really need a cold start log from OBD Fusion to collect and share the engine data so we can advise you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From reading the other threads I did buy OBD fusion and 2 readers I have a Bluetooth and a WiFi reader it’s the cold start logs that I can’t figure out how to do. I do believe there is a thread that jfoj goes in depth on how to do it I just can’t find it. If one of y’all could link it here it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2001 325ci
898 Posts
Side note: is the black and white check valve part of this system or no?
yes.
not sure if your car has this SAP system. internet image.
for black and white check valve orientation, this is how mine is, white on the right, black on the left side of the car. i replaced with longer hose to gain better access if needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the lag my brother in law wanted to see if he could figure it out so I don’t currently have the car. Once I get the car back I will take another log and post it.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
13,890 Posts
Sorry for the lag my brother in law wanted to see if he could figure it out so I don’t currently have the car. Once I get the car back I will take another log and post it.
Consider uploading the log file to datazap, as it will let us view graphs of the data. I uploaded a few log files as a test and like it so far. It’s a pretty cool site (and free).

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,056 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I still have not seen a response to BaliDawg's request for error codes and other readiness indicators. I'd also request whether there were other codes you had and resolved.

In 2019 I chased SAP readiness for a few months. I replaced all components except the pump itself (confirmed working). I had other codes before that. All codes resolved and all systems ready except SAP. I followed a couple of different routines including the driving one to reset the readiness. NOTHING worked. I finally drove for a few weeks and suddenly it reset. It seems like SAP readiness can be a real SOB. So, details are EVERYTHING here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe I missed it, but I still have not seen a response to BaliDawg's request for error codes and other readiness indicators. I'd also request whether there were other codes you had and resolved.

In 2019 I chased SAP readiness for a few months. I replaced all components except the pump itself (confirmed working). I had other codes before that. All codes resolved and all systems ready except SAP. I followed a couple of different routines including the driving one to reset the readiness. NOTHING worked. I finally drove for a few weeks and suddenly it reset. It seems like SAP readiness can be a real SOB. So, details are EVERYTHING here.
I’ve never had any sap related codes I’ve even driven around for 30 miles (round trip) with the pump and the electric valve unplugged and I didn’t throw a code. When I was first chasing this down I read a lot on faulty O2 sensors especially if they have 100k+ on them so on principle I just went and replaced them since I was at 140k I went to a smog guy and he had told me to replace the valve that bolts onto the cylinder head and the electric one behind the manifold. This past fall when I was going on a gasket replacing spree I had noticed that the hard line that goes to the manifold had melted (I had already replaced it when I first got the car) when I bought the check valves I also bought the victor rein hose (just thought that it may be better plastic). My sap pump indeed does work. Everything is brand new on this system except the pump and the b&w check valve behind the manifold. I’m out of guesses and I’m running out of time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts